porcelain tiles cut with wet wheel, chipped edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have large porcelain tiles on the floor of a wet room, in the preformed tray area they had to be cut diagonally to allow the fall, on some of the cuts there has been some chipping to the edges of the tiles.

The tiles and grout are both dark and a similar colour - will it be possible to 'fill' the chips with grout and thus blend them in? The top of the tile is a dark mottled gray (porcelenosa ferroka tiles) the 'base' of the tiles is a lighter gray and hence shows up a bit.

thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a decent wet tile cutter, which way up are you cutting the tiles?

have not been cutting them myself, enlisted family help. Hence the question really.. not sure if I am worrying over something that will just dissappear when the grout goes in given the similarity of colour.

the tile cutter is an electric wheel one with a tray of water at the base, which way up would you recommend cutting them?

sounds like a crap diamond blade in your wet saw, or the tile was pushed to hard and fast thro the blade.

Sponsored Links
Cut the tile with glazed surface uppermost so the blade cuts downwards into the glaze & let the blade do the work, don’t rush it. If the cuts are to be seen, sometimes a tile file will help give a final polish to the edge. Some tiles cut better than others or it could be a cheap cutter or crap diamond blade as Tictic says. I doubt that grout will make the chips invisible unfortunately.

as said, should be as clean as a whistle, my guess is that the tiles were forcibly pushed whilst being cut... or again as said your diamond blade is useless.

cutting to quickly with a cheap and nasty blade causes exactly what you have described, IF you do a 1st class grouting job mate you should be able to disguise the chips, so long as they are small

Check the fence on your cutter is set truely parallel to the blade. If it isn't, the back (upward rotating) part of the blade will touch one side of the cut, and lift chips off the tile.

thanks for all the replies, will check the fence, buy a new disc (as I think this one has seen some action) and hope to disguise the chips on the tiles that are already fixed down.. the grout colour is very similar to the tiles so maybe that will help..

thanks again!

Trev

cutting to quickly with a cheap and nasty blade causes exactly what you have described, IF you do a 1st class grouting job mate you should be able to disguise the chips, so long as they are small

No mater what I did, my wet diamond saw chipped the edges.
I guess it was a crap blade. Its just about worn-out now so will go to the tip!

Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back