porch canopy repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As per the attached image, the wooden 'slats' (proper name?) on our porch canopy are rotting. My plan was to sand and repaint but chunks of wooden came off with the paint so that's clearly not an option. I'd assume/hope these are purely cosmetic? The gallows(!?) below seem sound.

Any idea on how I'd go about replacing these/what sort of contractor I'd speak to/likely cost?

Thanks a lot.

20230802_124626.jpg

Sponsored Links
Carpenter, or small general builder or replacement fascia firm. Get at least three fully itemised quotes, and ensure all quote for the same thing so that you can properly compare them.

Shiplap is the vertical cladding and fascia is the horizontal bits.

You may be encouraged to replace these in plastic. There are nice options available but do not let anyone overclad rotten timber.

thanks. think upvc would probably be my preference. is there an advantage to shiplap over tongue and groove?

I assume overcladding would be a quick botch as you just cut to size and screw it onto an already failing board... if you rip the rotten boards off, will there be a frame underneath to attach the plastic too?

cheers mate

Sorry, yes it is v-groove T&G not shiplap.

Shiplap is a type of T&G, and I tend to just use it as a colloquialism. :rolleyes:

It's often better to replace bad timber with new rough treated, and then overclad that. But how that would work with the cladded section and roof verge would need to be checked.

You may also find that new plastic cladding may need to overhang the new bottom horizontal board and not sit flush.

There are woodgrain effect and various shades available nowadays too.

Sponsored Links
thanks. I think I'll replace the fascia too.

do you know how important keeping those circular air vents would be? obviously there for a reason at the moment but I don't tend to see any other canopy's with these in....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back