Porch is over 3SQM ground area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice, I am in the process of buying a house and the existing porch ground area (measured externally) is more than 3 square metres according to the surveyor, 3.55 square metres to be exact which is obviously not a permitted development. It meets the other PD requirements - under 3M height and not within 2M of boundary and main external door is still in place.

However, the original open porch (Roof, concrete foundation, half brick wall) has been in place for many years according to the surveyor, possibly as part of the original house which is over 70 years old. The current owners have closed in the existing porch a year ago as part of their refurb by adding windows and a front door which are building regs compliant. There is no PP, LDC or PD notification on the porch.

I am not concerned by neighbours as it is an existing porch that has been there many years and after the closing in work it is still the same size so no one will complain to council but I am concerned if I sell in the future if surveyors like my one identifies it an an issue for future buyers.

To address this I would apply for a LDC under the 4 year rule as no-one has or will complain in the 4 years so it would likely get granted but not sure when the 4 years starts i.e. last year when the sellers did the closing in work, many years ago when original porch was built, or 4 years after I move in?

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't do anything.
It's 0.55m2.
Nobody will ever bother to enforce.
What you could do is ask the existing owner to take indemnity insurance out for this.
But frankly, I wouldn't worry.
Many PD projects are bigger than they should be, as long as you don't go crazy, it's ok.
If my maths is correct, 0.5m2 on a 2 metre long porch is a strip of 250mm.
Hardly noticeable with the naked eye.

Four years after completion. If it is four and not ten years. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
However, the original open porch (Roof, concrete foundation, half brick wall) has been in place for many years according to the surveyor, possibly as part of the original house which is over 70 years old. The current owners have closed in the existing porch a year ago as part of their refurb by adding windows and a front door
Doesn't that mean that they didn't build a porch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back