Porch makeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to buy an ex local authority house in good nick but with a very plain featureless porch. Any ideas re designs on how to make it look a bit more attractive?
No major building work - maybe sturdy trellis for climbers at the sides?
Any suggestions gratefully received!
I am attaching a pic (I hope) not too expert at computers.

View media item 30824

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. It's good to see some people still have a sense of humour!
However, I would still welcome suggestions for the porch (in keeping with the type of house) from anyone with any constructive ideas.

I think your idea of keeping it fairly simple with trellis and climbers makes a lot of sense. A neighbour has recently had a porch built on the front of his house and it looks terrible.The other neighbours in the cul de sac all agree it's done nothing to enhance the property. It's got the tiniest window, the brickwork is dreadful and it must make the hallway very dark. No way was an architecht involved. The only thing that can be said is it matches the sunroom built at the back of the house which is equally as ugly. Don't make your house stand out too much from the others in the street.

Sponsored Links
I think its a good idea to individualise your ex authority house with changes to the front, I would look to mirror the gable end with bricks walls upto the porch roof and then construct a similar peaked roof using the same slate. The brick sides could then be softened with planters at the base and some climbing plants to grow up the walls.

I'm in the same boat, have an ugly concrete slab for a porch. However it is joined to the neighbors ugly slab too so anything I do would just look wrong. However two suggestions for yours:

1 how about a small sloping roof section which matched your main roof ? At least it would look 'factory'

2 have a good walk around estates with the same house styles, someone may have done something with theirs that catches your eye ?

Hth

Sadly, I missed out on the house at the last minute! When I eventually sold my flat, someone had pipped me at the post. However, all is not lost and I have found another (totally different!) which will need a bit of titivating inside and out - I WILL BE BACK as they say - to ask for help and suggestions. One is to landscape the VERY SMALL back garden. Will post a photo soon. I'm surrounded by boxes at the mo as moving date is looming. Thanks to everyone who offered ideas.
Lyn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back