Porch size - external measurements, but is this roof size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Want to put a small porch on my house and have checked the sizes required without needing planning permission
- 3 square metre size, measured externally
- 3 metres high max

As I want to put on a pitched tiled roof and in doing so have a soffit overhang of 100mm or so, is this included in the sizing or can this count as extra?

Just need to know whether I need to allow for this in the 3 square metre sizing of the porch, or whether it is the outside measurments of the actual porch.

Thanks for any advise

What about guttering, is this included in the 3 square metre size?

Sponsored Links
3m² is the area at ground level measured externally.

In theory, you could cantilever it out to a much bigger size!

As long as the porch overhang doesn't infringe on another property, it's the footprint that is stipulated, the roof and any overhang are for protecting the building structure i.e. the word covering these extraneous elements is curtlige...pinenot :)

Thats great Guys, thanks

I wanted to get as much as I could and if it had included the roof then the structure would have been smaller

Sponsored Links
i.e. the word covering these extraneous elements is curtlige...pinenot :)

:eek:

The curtilage is the perimeter of all the property and typically defines the land around the property, and nothing to do with roof overhangs or extraneous elements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back