Porch: Timber, Solid Masonry or Cavity Masonry Dwarf Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon to build a small rear porch (less than 3sqm and hidden behind my 2.9m boundary wall).

I only need to erect an 'L shaped wall' as it abuts an existing extension and will be built level with it.

I will obviously have to prepare a foundation (probably trench fill).

I have never built an external house wall (just garden walls) and I am not sure if I have to use a cavity for an external wall or not. I am pretty happy with the joinery required to build the door, window and roof lights, but the wall is something new to me.

As most of the L shaped "wall" will in fact be the door and window frames, and the longest section of dwarf wall would be less than 1.5m, I was wondering about "getting away" with a solid dwarf wall. What would I gain by doing a cavity wall here - much?

Given that I would have proper foundations, can I just build timber framing all the way to the ground level without any brickwork at all? I presume so. Where does the DPC go in this case, as the wood would be at ground level? (Which is probably why I need a wall of some sort right!?)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Timber down to earth will be problamatic for obvious reasons.
To build a cavity wall would be easier than a solid construction unless you are using 12" solid block, as the courses would allow for a little discrepancy and still look good, plus the u-value would be improved. Lastly fill the cavity with a lean semi dry mix of concrete to six inches below the d.p.c. A blue brick d.p.c. is a nice feature, above d.p.c. just regular stretcher bond with insulation batts.

Thanks legs.

The porch is against a stone built house and I intend to face the dwarf wall with stone so that it blends in better (I am looking for an excuse for a mini stone wall facing/building project as it appeals to me - and I have some stone knocking around). If not then I will render the wall and paint it in line with the early '40s extension.

This is why I was trying to "get away" with a solid wall, as a cavity plus stone facing would take the external floor area of the porch just over 3sqm which I was trying to avoid (I understand I can avoid planning permission this way).

So given the above, would a solid wall for this single story small porch be okay in standard 12" concrete blocks, given that it would be load bearing (windows and roof)?

I intend to face the dwarf wall with stone so that it blends in better
Why not build with stone in the first place? You can still build a cavity wall with a stone outer leaf and brick (or block) inner.

reminds me of a joke I once heard.

Q How do you kill a Blue Elephant
A With a Blue Elephant shotgun

Q How do you kill a Red Elephant
A Wring it's neck until it's Blue and then shoot it with a Blue Elephant shotgun.

Sponsored Links
Well it is a thought Mr TexMex. Though do I really want the first ever stone wall I build to be part of a load bearing wall... methinks not :eek:

However I'll muse on it as I dig the foundation trench. Cheers.

PS Your joke made me hoot (or was that an owl?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back