Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a porch on the front of the house.Which is 30 feet fron the main road.The porch itself will be three meters wide (That max is three point three meters)All the houses down my road was built on a field.The trade brickie wants to put pilelongs down four in total plus feinforse steel rods and concrete cost £3.000 that is only the foundations.Do i need all this work done just for a porch.I hope i have not confused you all.My iq on building is nill bit like my grammer.
Any advice would be helpfull
Thank you

Sponsored Links
My iq on building is nill bit like my grammer.
:cool:

If you speak to neighbours or even if you know yourself, determine how the house foundations were constructed.
This should tell you immediately what you should be looking for regards the porch found's

My iq on building is nill bit like my grammer.
:cool:

If you speak to neighbours or even if you know yourself, determine how the house foundations were constructed.
This should tell you immediately what you should be looking for regards the porch found's
Would you therefore go to the same dept as the house footings

Sponsored Links
Not 100% no.

But it is a good indicator of ground conditions. Builders do not opt for things like raft or pile foundations on a whim as these are costly options.

However ground conditions can change rapidly.

On a job we are doing at present all the houses in the street are built off (rather rudimentary) raft foundations. The next street along and parallel to ours are built of substantial rafts. The next street along are on piles.

We dug a strip foundation as well as a 2.4m test dig to determine if there was any peat present. There was none and conditions were suitable for standard strip.

If it looks like the ground conditions are unchanging then building as per house found's may be the only option unless a trained bod can show otherwise.
You would be foolish to just take a chance but it is your house and it may be reg's exempt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back