Portable Air Conditioning units!! - Beware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I thought i would post this up as info for anyone with one of the above units before you end up with a destroyed wood floor like i have.

Check out the amount of moisture your unit can remove from the air in 24 hours, most have a drain valve like mine however the maths can be scary.

I woke up yesterday morning to a flood in my bedroom as the shut off failed to activate when the water tank filled up to max and deposited the rest onto my bedroom floor. As the tank is only 1.5 litres i didn't think the unit would need emptying out that often which such a small tank and the inaccessibility of the drain valve which is about 25mm from the floor.

After lifting the 40KG unit into the bath to drain it yesterday i thought it would be fine and reinstalled it.

This morning i ended up with an even deeper flood (about 15mm deep) after clearing it all up i decided to do some more research.

The unit can extract upto 45 litres of water a day in humid conditions.

The internal water tank is 1.5 litres, of which you can only drain about 400ml at a time.

Then comes the annoying bit:

45 litres a day equates to 1.875 Litres per hour (MAX) which explains why i got flooded a couple of times.

What level of ****** would fit a water reciever of 1.5 litres to a product that in it's highest ouput overflows in about 50 minutes. This unit typically runs through the night, as i normally go to bed about 1 and get up about 10 that equates to:

1, a big flood
2, 16.8 litres of water

This just makes no sense to me whatsoever!

Anyway, armed with this info i called them up and they just said "OH, when it's really humid you just have to empty it more often" I responded "How would you feel being told to empty the unit every 50 minutes when you use it to cool a bedroom? having paid £800 for it" This is a unit from a very large company and not sold by the sheds.

I have sorted the problem by raising the unit by about the width of a PC (an old shed i had lying around) and went to get some pipe to drain it externally, punched a 14mm hole through the wall and connected it to the drain on the unit. I decided to test it while i'm awake, prevention being better than cure and all that and it's liquid output is quite shocking.

I have measured that it is roughly outputting 750ml per hour which means the tank would be full in 2 hours or less. Since 8PM tonight i now have a bucket half full, at least it will overflow into the garden and not my floor.

I hate products designed by a designer without any consideration whatsoever for an end user or trades that have to work on them once out in the wild.

Just check what your unit can do! it may save you a flood or two ;)

Jon.

Sponsored Links
Ouch, that sounds bad. You're absolutely right about the amount of moisture removed - it's amazing and incidently it's the moisture being removed that makes you feel more comfortable (the lower temp also helps but the humidity has a greater effect). It sounds like a very expensive unit, usually these units get rid of the moisture via the hot ait discharge hose, the condensate often used to cool the condensor more.

Regards - J

mine accumulates some moisture in the bottom, requires emptying every so often, but most of the moisture is dropped onto the hot coils and evaporates, into the exhaust tube. I guess some moisture doesn't evaporate.

And it is really nice to have one room in the house where there's less humidity. I was sweating cobs yesterday, so when the sun got a bit weaker, i fired up the air con in teh conservatory and closed the door. an hour later i returned and it was amazing, i stopped sweating. i moved the TV into there from the kitchen, and sat there until it was time for bed :LOL:

johnb80 said:
Ouch, that sounds bad. You're absolutely right about the amount of moisture removed - it's amazing and incidently it's the moisture being removed that makes you feel more comfortable (the lower temp also helps but the humidity has a greater effect). It sounds like a very expensive unit, usually these units get rid of the moisture via the hot ait discharge hose, the condensate often used to cool the condensor more.

Regards - J

You are right, it normally gets rid of the moisture via the hot air vent but when the humidity really shoots up thats where the problem started.

I must also point out that it doesn't mention in the manual how much water it can remove :eek:

I have never had a problem with it before. It was originally purchased to cool a server room in an emergency and can deal with 15000 BTU's. When it cools down i will get the manufacturer to come out and check the auto shut off for the water tank - they aren't having it in this weather :(

Interestingly, it has filled a 19L BAL mixing bucket since 8PM last night, but at least that's 17.5 Litres in the bucket and not on the floor :)

Seeing as there is also a hose pipe ban on here i'm going to go and buy a water butt today and feed the output into it, then i get free pure water for my chilli plants ;)

At least the floor is dry and seems to be drying out OK so i might not have to replace the floor. Fingers crossed :)

Jon.

Sponsored Links
its distilled water so bottle it and sell it to a garage! The water issue is one reason i tell people to fit a static rather than portable unit. its also why there is lots of little puddles beside petrol pumps in the summer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back