position of my new bathroom heator ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a new 2kw bathroon heator from screwfix..it is approx 800mm in length and has 2 elements..i have only 2 positions i can install it
1) on the wall opposite the bath at 1.8m minimum in height & in the centre of the room....
2) or on the same wall but above the sink at 1.8m min but prob around 2m high.. which is more in line with the area where you would dry off get clothed etc..
i intend to fit an unswitched f/spur but up to the ceiling as with the walls being fully tiled the supply cable would have to come through the ceiling into the top of the box..then flex into the side of the heater base plate with minimal flex draping about..
are both permissable or do regs apply in this instance what with zones etc ? have a look at the pics submitted cheers again
also i intend to install a bathroom fan 12volt..i im going to position it in either of the 2 vents seen in the pics either in the corner above/ adj the toilet as more likely permissable than the other vent which is directly above the edge of the bath ? opinions appreciated cheers again :)
(btw lighting circuit from which to supply the fan is its own circuit rcd protected & the bathroom heater also has its own rcd protected circuit )

Sponsored Links
For the heater, either location would comply, however above the sink is NOT a good idea, as anyone standing in front of the mirror will get very hot.

The fan will be useless above the toilet - air will enter via the door and out through the fan, with the other 90% of the air in the room never moving.
The other vent position is better, but still not ideal.

All of this work is notifiable, so if you want to do it yourself you can either notify building control & pay the fee before starting, or break the law.

yeah flame..think i will position the heator more or less above the rad..centre of room + position the fan in the vent adj/above the bath, fed via a 3 pole isolating switch outside the bathroom..better position really for the steam from the shower,is it only compliable with a 12v fan in that position (rcd protected) which i intend to install,cheers again flameport :)

,is it only compliable with a 12v fan in that position (rcd protected) which i intend to install,cheers again flameport :)

Check out what is allowed (and not allowed) in the various zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones

You must know about all of this oher wise LABC is gonna catch you out.
And you should inform the local authority now, before you begin, and be prepared to pay them some money for the privilege.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, how will the LABC 'catch him out'? Obviously the work has to comply with the regs to be done safely, but with regards to notifying the LABC how would they ever find out? Has anyone ever been prosecuted by the LABC for not notifying apart from when the work has not complied with the regs? Just curious!

Ban all Sheds- All that link shows is 1) Someone lied whilst declaring that no electrical work had taken place and got away with it, even though the LABC knew it was going on and 2) Although it seems the LABC would have all the evidence that work has been done, not notified, and no completion certs, the exact scenario perhaps Part P was bought in for, the LABC done..................... nothing. Interesting. Once again it just shows exactly the reason part P was introduced, as a money making scam, making those who bide by the law stump up more money, and those that dont, well they get richer with no comeback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back