position of new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Warm front have told us we can have a new boiler but altho the old one has worked perfectly well in the veranda for 22 years we are told it's no longer permissible to fit in conservatories or similar outbuildings.

We live in a bungalow & there is simply nowhere else the surveyor man could find to fit it other than in the far end of the loft which will require extensive extra piping to get the gas & flow pipe connected etc. & somehow I think it will not be feasible as it will be difficult access for the fitters.

Is there no way it could be fitted in place of the old one where it has a vertical flue :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably not but perhaps you can post some pics of the location.

It's a floor standing boiler against the wall of the house with vertical flue ,
Do the rules apply to the type of roof covering used or what ,surely it could be fitted with wall hanging vertical flue?
passageway leads to my workshop & garage, if there is nowhere else feasible then what else can be done

282p0r7.jpg

Warmfront is not an installer, it is a government funded grant scheme.

If you qualify for their £2700 grant, you have to take what you are given and pay the excess. You'll probably receive an Ideal boiler (great!) and the installation will be likely to be carried out by an EAGA owned company.

EAGA are a profit making private company who have been given huge sums of taxpayer money by HM Government to administer impartially. Last year they administered nearly £30M impartially to their own heating companies.

In principle you could take a vertical flue through the roof in this area (with reservation because the picture only shows a limited view), but you would need a solid infill in the area.

Boilers are now available where you can run the flue down the existing chimney, such as Viessmann, Halstead, ATAG. Worcester Bosch expect to have theirs available later in the year.

I don't expect Warmfront will offer these options, when you are in receipt of the grant you have to take what you are offered.

PS: Glad to see you had a tidy up :LOL:

Sponsored Links
As posted above warmfront won't do this because of the plastic roof, it is too expensive/liable to break etc etc. Boiler would also need frost protection as being mounted in unheated area (extra cost).
Also reguarding the Ideal's, Warmfront are now installing Baxi Solo's in certain areas- which we're much happier about!

We live in a bungalow & there is simply nowhere else the surveyor man could find to fit it other than in the far end of the loft which will require extensive extra piping to get the gas & flow pipe connected etc. & somehow I think it will not be feasible as it will be difficult access for the fitters.

Not really because whoever fits the boiler must also board out your loft from the entrance to the boiler, they must also fit a handrail around the loft entrance and supply loft ladders. Tell èm that, see how they like them apples. ;)

As posted above warmfront won't do this because of the plastic roof, it is too expensive/liable to break etc etc. Boiler would also need frost protection as being mounted in unheated area (extra cost).
Also reguarding the Ideal's, Warmfront are now installing Baxi Solo's in certain areas- which we're much happier about!

When we moved in years ago the boiler & roof were already there, there was a plasterboarded section above the boiler which we removed when we renewed the Coralux roofing to let in more light as our bathroom window is nearby, if this was replaced would that then be o.k.?
there is a frostat on the wall directly above the boiler which rarely triggers the boiler & we have a max min temp guage which shows the temp never drops below freezing so the frostat is correctly set.

You could try and mention those things to the Warmfront surveyor but I will be surprised if they install the boiler in that spot. You could maybe offer to adjust the hole in the roof etc yourself, may reduce costs. You can sometimes ask for a resurvey by another firm.

Well, we got the letter today saying that in addition to the £2700 grant we have to pay another £1967.98 making a total of £4,496.83. for the work.

This breaks down as labour £3,729.78

materials £758

two levels of VAT @ 5% & 15% making the total.

Are they insane or what? this is a rip off

the reason we are getting the grant is because we are pensioners on minimum income guarantee & it's out of the question for us to find the money for this.
Everything is simple to access & I would imagine it would be two days work if fitted in the loft or even less if a direct replacement in existing position .
Looking at the materials costing I'm not sure they included the cylinder @ around £200 either taking into account the boiler at around £680

I blame the surveyor bloke for this as immediately after saying we can't have the new boiler in the same place as it's not permitted in outhouses he started looking at other places in the same room for a suitable place simply to avoid using the vertical flue as far as I can see

I don't know what to do now other than ask if we can just have a new cylinder & system flushed as this is mostly the problem as it's probably furred up after 55 years & then hope our boiler will carry on for a few more years

Why not simply ask for a second opinion. Or third.

I would imagine that there would be a couple of other places that a boiler could be fitted bar the loft. (as mentioned before, boarding, rails and ladders etc)

Sometimes it just needs a fresh pair of eyes that dont have profit in mind!!

Where abouts are you (roughly) there may be peaople willing to have a look for a nominal charge.

We live in Redditch, Worc's,

just typed Warmfront ripoff in google & the internet is awash with similar complaints inc some who've been asked to pay £4,000 + !

Ask warmfront to send another company and another surveyor. Warmfront have been making some mistakes lately on quotes due to a new computer system or something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back