Boiler in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our balanced flu boiler has to be moved when our new conservatory is built other wise the flu would be within the conservatory. Can it be relocated into the conservatory? As we live in a bungalow there is no alternative obvious space for it and we are reluctant to invest in a new one.

Sponsored Links
My understanding of the regs are if it is removed it should be replaced with a condenser unless you have enough points to exempt it.And this applies to relocating boiler in same room you will also need gwn or building ispector approval.

Its perfectly legal to move the boilers position within the same property, problems can arise when the flue is disconnected from the boiler since gaskets and seals may not be available.

I misread regs you can relocate boiler but you have to do a gwn and treat it as a new installation and get a exemption code. Might as well fit a steamer by the time you re-run pipe work and flue etc

Sponsored Links
gasgeezer said:
I misread regs you can relocate boiler but you have to do a gwn and treat it as a new installation and get a exemption code. Might as well fit a steamer by the time you re-run pipe work and flue etc

If you move the same boiler within a house there is no propblem. It is when a new boiler is being fitted it needs to be condensing.

You will need to notify corgi if you move the boiler as per june edition of gas installer .They wont know so what the hell forget it

What boiler is it?

There may be a possibilty that the flue could be extended or rerouted.

gasgeezer said:
You will need to notify corgi if you move the boiler as per june edition of gas installer .They wont know so what the hell forget it

Corgi have NOTHING to do with it. They are a registration authority nothing else.

Thanks for all these helpful comments. It's a Halstead Buckingham BF80 about 6 or 7 years old. The system is (I think) a Y frame and it's fully pumped. It would be mounted on a new wall at the end of the conservatory (so the flue would be outside) and the pipes can go straight up to link with those already in the roof space.

There is a possibility that it could go inside a fitted wardrobe in our spare bedroom, maybe in the loft space or in the conservatory. The only potential probelms I think are the noise from it and the aesthetic problem (my wife is particular and likes things to look nice) which we plan to alleviate by boxing it in well.

As to cost etc - I 'd like to postpone investing in a condensing boiler until is essential to do so because I've read so many criticisms of them and because of the additional expenditure.

Try to avoid putting it in a bedroom cupboard - you will live to regret it.

I charge the same labour charge to resite an old boiler as I do to install a new one.

If you think about it logically the same work is involved. :idea:

This is not a cost effective option on an 8 year old boiler although your the owners and as you mention there is the added immediate expenditure of replacement.

However, you should be aware that there can be other accociated costly problems :rolleyes: when resiting a boiler and in the long run a replacement may end up the cheaper alternative. ;)

Lastly, I never consider putting boilers in bedrooms, JUST IN CASE.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Wayter Syatems posted

"""Quote:-

Corgi have NOTHING to do with it. They are a registration authority nothing else."""

That is true, but perhaps you are unaware because you are not registered, that CORGi require anyone registered to notify them of any boilers which they install. Thats a condition of registration! Dont do it and they can and might strike you off !

Tony

At the risk of a non plumber posting advice, I did have the boiler moved from the kitchen in my old house to the converatory, for the same reason. I built a concrete plinth for it to sit on. All pipes were extended to meet it. A frost stat was fitted to protect it in the conservatory.

Cost, a fraction of a new boiler and we are all told these old boilers are so robust that it seemed a worthwhile move.

Yes it was connected by a corgi resistered person.

Regards

Mike MS

PS The flue went through the brick wall in it, but I guess it could go through glass, but would look ugly.

In response to WS said:
That is true...
FFS Agile, is there some reason you can't learn to ignore WS like everyone else has?

your boiler on a seasonal average is probably giving you 50 to 60 pence of heat for every pound you put in. condenser gives about 90 to 95 pence of heat . you do the calculations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back