Boiler in conservatory

fitz1 said:
your boiler on a seasonal average is probably giving you 50 to 60 pence of heat for every pound you put in. condenser gives about 90 to 95 pence of heat . you do the calculations.
Maybe you, fitz, should get your figures right first. The Halstead Buckingham is more efficient than you say and condensing boilers are less so.

And you have to take account of the likely higher lifetime costs of a condensing boiler, given the high cost of installation, shorter service life, greater need for servicing and lower reliability.

Sponsored Links
i said seasonal .and what proof if installed correctly, they are not as reliable.

at best. newly installed. the buckingham is 78 to 82 % effic.condens 90% or above. SORRY for my guestamation.

fitz1 said:
at best. newly installed. the buckingham is 78 to 82 % effic.condens 90% or above.
Now you're understating the difference by using combustion efficiency figures rather than SEDBUK ratings - http://www.boilers.org.uk.

The Buckingham III BF80 (made 1997 - 2003) has a rating of 72.6%. The Buckingham III has a cast iron heat exchanger and natural draught balanced flue so it is bound to be less efficient overall due to standing losses from the heat exchanger when not firing. The later Buckingham 4 has a fanned flue and the SEDBUK rating improves to 78.4%.

Sponsored Links
I hope the OP (Ginadavid) is still watching or this is once again turning into a knockabout between others.

Yes, you can relocate without needing exemption according to my LA Building Control.
....but as with any re-installation it must come up to modern standards, and in particular BS5440 has rather large flue terminal clearances for natural draft (balanced flue) installations and you may find it difficult to find a flat wall big enough to comply. My advice, if you must keep the old boiler, is to get the commissioning fitter to OK the location beforehand. If you don't you may have to change the boiler anyway.

So the information printed in junes edition of gas installer is wrong regarding relllocation and installation of used appliances.Needs to be adressed or could cause some issues maybe even fines.

Done a boiler in conservatory last year. In fact Ive just been asked back to service it. http://tinyurl.com/k3jrk That pic was taken before the insulation was put in place.

They didn't have any other place for the boiler so it had to go there. I just removed a pane of glass in the conservatory and replaced with the flue and air intake. Seems to look fine and they were happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back