Positioning of an Oil Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if I am correct

1200ltr Tank needs to be 0.76m From a boundry on a Base of Hardcore and Concrete. 0.3m round tank to edge of concrete.

Q) Can I install the base my self?

Q) Can there be trees in the 0.76m gap (i'e a well established evergreen hedge)

Q) Aberdeenshire area - Do I need planning Permission?

Q) Aberdeenshire Are - Do I need Building Warrernt?

Q) Plastic Tanks = Single Skin or Bunded Double - There seems to be a big cost difference

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do the Base yourself it needs to be thick enough to take the weight of a tank full of oil, about 1.5Tonnes) about 150mm thick on compacted hardcore is usually ok

There should be nothing between the boundary and the tank (760mm) as this is a FIRE GAP to protect the tank in event of fire over the neighbouring boundary

I'm not sure about Building regs north of border, so can't help with advice on permissions etc last time

I tried I got shot down by all the northerners :oops: :oops: :oops:

like boilerman2, dont know what the regs are north of the boarder.but a bunded tank is a must.in england the regs permit an oftec installer to commision a oil storage tank.proberbly the biggest issue of an oil installation.what your doing though sounds like a good step in the right direction .iv seen some that will make you gringe due to poor installation.

Sponsored Links
A steel tank will last longer than a plastic one, though you may not see the sun damage up there. You do get the wind though, and plastic tanks blow away when empty if not restrained. A steel tank always wins though, and is usually cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back