Positioning of scaffolding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having scaffolding fitted to my two storey extension next week. The brickwork is already at 3.5M so I'm going for a single lift at that level which will also put it at a good working height for my eaves which are at 4.5 metres.

Will I be expected to make any other decisions on site - e.g. the off-stand from the wall, which I presume should be as little as possible other than the width of a spirit level. Anything else to consider?

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
Anything built after about 1950, eaves are normally 4.725, but know that you have raised tie ceiling joists. giving you that height.
We would have thrown a putlog scaffold up, but would appear you are going for independent. Make sure that you tell scaffolder your soffit height so that he does not stick up 6,400s for inner standards. He will need some short poles for inner standards.
Regards stand of, you need to be able to get a level down through inner ledger and brickwork.
You will struggle with your roof timbers with staging at 3.500 and roof tiler may need another lift, hop up or run up.
Regards oldun

I don't really know whether the scaffold company will assemble a putlog or not - we just discussed the height I was at and where I wanted the working platform... can one be fitted retrospectively without needing to hack in to the mortar all over the walls?

I'll make sure I point out the non standard soffit height to them.

You will struggle with your roof timbers with staging at 3.500 and roof tiler may need another lift, hop up or run up.

do you think 3500 is too close to allow for the rafter overhang before they're trimmed, or too far away to make construction practical?

Thanks

Gary

You need the scaffold lift at a height that enables the roofer to step on and off the roof comfortably and that it does not interfere with the rafter ends.

Sponsored Links
If you have not stated what you want, scaffolders will more than likely throw independent up in two lifts. More money in it for them. Any sensible scaffolder doing an independent will not use 21s for inner standards but will use some shorts, how ever have seen 21s used before and tops cut of after.

Quote:

Did not mean scaffold would be to high for rafter tails, but to low for plate lift.
One other thing make sure scaffolders do your platform at least 1 course below your finished brickwork so you can get jointer in to first bed joint.
Regards oldun

Just noticed what nose has wrote, we put plate lift 2 course below eaves.

Thanks guys. I've just spoken to the scaffolder again and I think I'll go for two lifts then - one that's at a good working height to finish the last metre of brickwork, and one at eaves height.

Would you advise that I get the scaffolding 450mm away from the house so that it doesnt' foul the rafter ends?

Gary, You are not thinking son.
Providing you have straight forward facia and soffit, then as long as your top platform is at least 150mm below soffit (eaves level) then tails will not foul platform as tails will only be at the most 25to 30mm below soffit level, whether facia be grooved for ply soffit, PVC facia with hooked bottom for plastic soffit or Timloc soffit support. Just keep scaffold 100mm clear of external wall and you will be okay. Do a little drawing on piece of paper and you will see what we mean.
If scaffolder is running independent scaffold , in all probability he will do three lifts as 3.5 metre first lift is a struggle, so he will run a lift at say 1.5 then 3.4 and return for top lift.
If you are still not sure, then come back
Regards oldun

Agree with Old Codge, it is not the distance away from the building rather the finished height of the lift not clashing with the roof.

Another pertinent point Old Bu**er pointed out is that a free standing scaffold (i.e. one that is not pudlock) requires inner stanchions that need to be at a height so that they do not clash with the soffit.

We have often had to take an angle grinder to many a scaffold tube when working at roof level. :p

Ah of course - I had a bit of brain fade there - too much sun perhaps!

I've just been for another measure. From surrounding ground level the brickwork is at 3.9 metres, and then the soffit is a further 0.85 metres.

Scaffold man is coming at 7am so I'll talk to him again about it. Price may make me go for two lifts though- one at 2.6 to finish the brickwork and one at 4.6 to give me 150mm clearance from the rafter tails.

Job done - Cheers guys. In the end the lift is in at 2.8M and he's coming back for the second lift. It's independent with the inner 'standards' stood back 450mm from the building so they clear the guttering. The boards butt right up against the building though, with a cantilever support. All pretty simple when you can see it in front of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back