Scaffold/Safe platform for single storey roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about got to wall plate height on my single storey lean to extension, and having never given any thought to how best to get a safe platform to get on and off the roof, I’m after any advice from anyone who’s done this before. It’s a 10m run. I guess my options are:
1. hire more bandstands and scaffold boards (I’ve only got 4 bandstands)
2. Hire or buy those scaffold “H” sections that plug together, may need quite a few
3. Get proper scaffolding put up

Any pointers appreciated as always!

Sponsored Links
if you're doing it many times with materials and when tired, it's not worth taking the risk of not having proper edge protection at the bottom. don't forget you might slip when you're up there as well as getting on and off with materials.

failing that I have some you can have, collection only, one careful owner:
upload_2018-4-5_19-4-45.png

Looks good that, looks like you've got it stored away neatly too :D
So by your comment about fall prevention I take it you'd recommend getting proper scaffold put up? only gonna be about 6 foot platform height so hopefully might be able to get it at a decent price

I'm by no means a pro but if you look at the HSE advice on working at height, you have to multiply the amount of time by the consequences to decide what the reasonable/proportionate mitigation is.

So if you're going up there for a 2 hour job, even though the consequences are unthinkable, you'll have your wits about you etc.
But if you're going to be up there for 5 weeks, you'll have a miss step one day and you'll need something you can rely on.

Now I've no idea whether the platforms would do, but you have to think about if you suddenly fall at any moment, what will the results be? You could build something out of wood if you like, you can use a climbing harness to the wall of the house, as long as you won't be seriously injured if you fall.

In a pro situation, everything is very standard because scaffolding is durable and tried and tested, but you just have to be satisfied it's ok for the time being.

Hopefully someone else will be along with a more concrete answer (I'm just keeping your thread warm...)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/campaigns/fallstrips/index.htm

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I’ll price up some of the options anyway. Whatever it is will need to be up for a good couple of months

I did my extension and garage with 4 bandstands and a little H section tower. The tower was light weight enough to move around so no need for lots. Worked pretty well. I had to move stuff around a bit but it didn't really slow me down. The rest of the work wasn't exactly at lighting speed. It certainly wouldn't have met HSE guidelines but I was careful when up there. I bought the bandstands on eBay and sold them when finished for close to the same money. Tower was borrowed from a friend.

I can get it scaffolded for £200 so I reckon I’ll go with that. (10m run). Better safe and all that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back