Scaffolding/trestles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Anyone got any tips for scaffolding and trestles? I'm reaching the limit of how high I can lay blocks on my 500mm hop up (for what will eventually be 2 storeys), so was wondering what height trestles to buy/hire (happy to buy em as I'll use them in future) , how many trestles (not sure how long you can span boards across a pair) and obviously how high do I go before getting the first scaffold lift ( which I guess is at about first floor level?)
Any advice for this novice appreciated as ever!

Sponsored Links
We have eight (adjustable) trestles and loads of boards. We usually brick up to a height whereby the proper scaffold pudlocks are above head (banging) height.

Thanks noseall so is the first scaffold level normally about level with first floor joists ?
Also was wondering about no.1 2 or 3 trestles ie. The different heights but I'm probably over thinking it. I've got loads of scaffold boards so that's a start

When you start laying above shoulder height, there is a tendency to build the wall of of plumb (towards you). And you waste time and quality suffers too

Put the first lift in now, as it stops nose bleeds when you mess about with the lintels and floor joists.

Don't waste time with trestles.

Sponsored Links
Hire trestles, they're peanuts. You'll be done with them in a week

Trestles up until the scaffold puddies can clear head height. Especially relevant when going in or out the building. Obviously Woodys labourer is only 3'-6" and doesn't mind the obstacle course and extra cost of staggering in and out the building.

You can also use the trestles inside the building.(y)

Last edited:
Trestles don't help on a two storey.

By the time you have put them up, you only have a few more course before its time for the first lift. Plus, it's very difficult to build the inner skin off trestles. You dont want to be trestling both side of the wall.

They wobble all over the place when trying to get the joists in, you can't load them out in any meaningful quantity, they block openings making it difficult to limbo under, and are really a second best.

The OP needs scaffold, its a complete waste of time using trestles and then scaffold. Just get the first lift in and have a a nice, stable, wide working platform, rather than wobbly knees and stress.

Thanks. I probably will hire trestles for a bit and see how I get on for about a fiver a week per trestle.
I guess it all depends what height to have the first lift, if it's too low I'll end up needing another lift at the top I reckon to complete the brickwork ? before starting the roof. I'm not very tall (although slightly taller than woody's labourer)

on a related subject, any recommendations on a good way of getting tubs of muck and bricks up there, other than on my shoulder? i generally work on my own, i will ask the scaffold guys about pulleys but if anyones got any tips itd be appreciated (y)

Trestles don't help on a two storey
Yes they do. Trestles help everywhere. They take minutes to put up and take down. The beauty is they are PORTABLE. They don't need to block an opening either unlike a permanent scaffold. We set ours up so that we can remove the short planks that are blocking the doorway.

Plus, it's very difficult to build the inner skin off trestles.
Eh? It's just a working platform the same as any other except this one is portable. You can stop the wobble if you know how to link them with boards and jamb against the block-work.

Scaffold the outside, build the inner leaf off that, only use trestles for internal partitions or working on the main house walls.

We won't put trestles up where scaffold will be going. I can't see any point in that at all. Unless it's day work. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back