Possible airlocked soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Just wondering if the air admittance valve that's on the soil pipe in the loft could fail and would cause water to gurgle and splutter out if the shower trap when the bath is emptied or the toilet is flushed? My house is a new build and this has only started occurring tonight but it seems to be like an air lock as water rises quite high in the toilet and empties fairy quickly causing water to gurgle and splutter out of the shower tray but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You've got a blockage downstream. Simple explanation here, the AAV is doing it's job, and staying firmly shut. When you flush the WC, that volume of water, (i.e. 6 litres), is going into the soil stack, which is now effectively sealed by the blockage below and the AAV above, so the volume of the flush needs to displace the same volume of air. It looks for the easiest way out, which is the shower trap.

Have a look outside, and lift any inspection covers to see what's going on. You've already said New Build, which doesn't inspire me with confidence.....

Sponsored Links
You've got a blockage downstream. Simple explanation here, the AAV is doing it's job, and staying firmly shut. When you flush the WC, that volume of water, (i.e. 6 litres), is going into the soil stack, which is now effectively sealed by the blockage below and the AAV above, so the volume of the flush needs to displace the same volume of air. It looks for the easiest way out, which is the shower trap.

Have a look outside, and lift any inspection covers to see what's going on. You've already said New Build, which doesn't inspire me with confidence.....
I've just had a look on my driveway as there's an inspection cover there and it's about a 1/4 full of water

Attachments

• IMG_20230716_225228.jpg
    IMG_20230716_225228.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 72
Might be lucky here, if you can trace that drain off your boundary, it may be the Water Company's responsibility, if the sewers have been Adopted. Otherwise it could be worth speaking to the developer, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

How long have you been in the property, and are you the first Occupiers?

Opened next inspection chamber off my driveway and found full of rubble, brick and concrete. Went further up and when I released another inspection cover the smell was unreal and found it full of sewage/water....

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_183857.jpg
    IMG_20230717_183857.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230717_185141.jpg
    IMG_20230717_185141.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 67
Might be lucky here, if you can trace that drain off your boundary, it may be the Water Company's responsibility, if the sewers have been Adopted. Otherwise it could be worth speaking to the developer, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

How long have you been in the property, and are you the first Occupiers?
We don't think it's been adopted as some others behind me are having issues with their drain and have had Yorkshire Water out who aren't accepting responsibility. The developers say they won't do anything unless it's proved it's them that are at fault...

Yeah we are the first occupiers and we've been in 4 years.

We don't think it's been adopted as some others behind me are having issues with their drain and have had Yorkshire Water out who aren't accepting responsibility. The developers say they won't do anything unless it's proved it's them that are at fault...

Yeah we are the first occupiers and we've been in 4 years.
Unfortunately then if the drains haven't been adopted it is probably going to be down to you to get them sorted. Look for someone who's prepared to quote a fixed price rather than a 'Half Hourly rate', which often means they'll drag the job out. Local firms, (with a local business address) will be better than the Franchises, and anyone with a load of AAAA's or 1's in front of their name.

What I would also do, is get the system CCTV'd once the block is cleared, and if there are any glaring issues, then you may have cause for redress from the Developer. It would also be worth speaking to the neighbours, if anyone else is affected, then it should fall back to the pre 2011 arrangements, whereby all using the sewer would be liable for sharing the cost of any maintenance, up to the point it became a Public sewer.

Not sure the developers can have much argument about the drain full of builders waste
If that is/was the case I'd have expected the issue to manifest before now, depending on how much use the section in question has had. CCTV will show more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back