Possible answer to Kitchen Ring Problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned in my previous posts, I'm c/o my CU soon to a split-load board. JohnD mentioned that preferably, the Freezer ( & I presume Fridge ) ccts should be on the non-RCD side of the Load & I commented that I can get access to the socket runs in the kitchen to change them onto a separate radial off the non-RCD side. leaving the rest of the sockets on the RCD side.

However, after checking things out, this is NOT going to be possible without ripping-up loads of flooring, which I don't really want to have to do & another problem is that the two extractor fans ( one standalone & one in the Cooker Hood ) are also fed off the Kitchen Ring. :eek: I thought fan ccts were supposed to be fed from lighting ccts ?

Anyway, what I propose to do, if it's within the regs, is to power the Kitchen Ring off a Single RCBO ( More commission for JD :LOL: ) fed from the non-RCD side of the CU, to avoid any nuisance tripping shutting-off all the socket ccts in the house.

Can anybody see any problems with this arrangement or should I really bite the bullet & re-wire the kitchen Freezer, Fridge & Fan ccts ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Running a fan off a 32A ring final is fine as long as it is connected via an FCU or plug-top fuse.

JohnD was right to make his recomendations regarding fridge/freezers on dedicated circuits, but thats in an ideal world, and it seems impractical for you.

Running your kitchen ring final circuit off an RCBO from the non-rcd side of your CU will be fine, at least if you go away there is very little else on the circuit that can trip it and leave you to come back to a freezer full of warm goo that was once your frozen food.

Ideally, bite the bullet, there is never a good time to carry out this kind of modification, but for you now looks like the best time, if ever.

Ball - Your Court.

Running a fan off a 32A ring final is fine as long as it is connected via an FCU or plug-top fuse.

Good news for the Cooker Hood, not so for the Extractor :-

fans.jpg

I can't see a cable anywhere so it appears it's buried and fed directly into the fan housing. I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to expose the feed and pull back the cable into an FCU. I'm getting the feeling that none of the electrical work in this house was EVER carried out by a spark. :(

Ideally, bite the bullet, there is never a good time to carry out this kind of modification, but for you now looks like the best time, if ever.

Ball - Your Court.

Hmmm, the kitchen is only just over 7' wide so maybe if I just cut a hatch, I may be able to get to the double socket feeding the Fridge & Freezer to cut them out of the Kitchen Ring. With all the good advice I'm getting off here, I want to try to do a job that you guys would be happy with, well almost anyway ;)[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back