Outside lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

New to this forum but have just spent the last couple of hours perusing!! Fantastic!! :D

Anyway, I am shortly going to install some 4mm 3 core SWA from an existing MCB (new split load board will be installed in the house) to a garage with a 30mA RCD and 2 x MCB (16 / 6 Amp) for sockets and lights. SWA buried to 24", marker tape e.t.c. So far so good. :D

1. The new split load CU: is it best to get a metal one or are the plastic ones equally as good? The only benefits I can see of a metal one are obviously it is tougher and the SWA can be glanded without need for the earth ring?? Right??

2. The kitchen is fed by a radial cct on a 20A MCB for dishwasher, washer, dryer, sockets). However, part of the ring main also goes through the kitchen and the fridge/freezer runs off the ring. The socket ring would be fitted to the RCD side of the new CU, but this means the fridge/freezer being on it. Is this the normal thing or do people generally try and fit it onto the non-RCD side of the CU with the lighting ccts??? What other ccts go on the non-RCD side?
Are split load boards with adjustable RCD/non-RCD sides better??? Am I using too many question marks :?: :?: :?:

3. OUTSIDE lighting. I am going to install some outside lighting. Am i best using mains lighting or opting for low voltage? I know with mains I would have to run all cabling within conduit and bury it. With LV you can run the cabling on the surface (I intend to run the cabling within a planter running around my garden)

Hope all this makes sense, all answers very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
gl9dg said:
Hi all

1SWA can be glanded without need for the earth ring?? You still need a ring and "banjo" strap
2.Is this the normal thing or do people generally try and fit it onto the non-RCD side of the CU with the lighting ccts??? What other ccts go on the non-RCD side? Can you extend the radial and have this on the Non RCD side to serve the fridge freezer?

Are split load boards with adjustable RCD/non-RCD sides better? Personal preference some say yes some say no.
Am I using too many question marks :?: :?: :?: Yes :LOL:

3. OUTSIDE lighting. I am going to install some outside lighting.

I'd always opt for Low voltage safer all round outside

gl9dg said:
3. OUTSIDE lighting. I am going to install some outside lighting. Am i best using mains lighting or opting for low voltage? I know with mains I would have to run all cabling within conduit and bury it. With LV you can run the cabling on the surface (I intend to run the cabling within a planter running around my garden)
If its mains voltage then, like your feed to the garage its swa cable, T&E in plastic conduit isnt good enough.

Re your consumer unit. What are the characteristics of your supply? If its TT you cant use metal.

I guess you know all about notifiable work? Almost everything you've talked about is notifiable. :(

Sponsored Links
1. Cheers

2. Can you extend the radial and have this on the Non RCD side to serve the fridge freezer? This is impossible (or very hard) as I have a slate floor. The only way would to be to channel up the wall one side of the kitchen, under floor boards and channel down the other side to the fridge position. Lot of work indeed. So what are the implications Standards wise of having it on the RCD side if any?

Are split load boards with adjustable RCD/non-RCD sides better? Personal preference some say yes some say no.
Am I using too many question marks Yes

3. OUTSIDE lighting. I am going to install some outside lighting.

I'd always opt for Low voltage safer all round outside. Thought as much

Yes, i know its notifiable.

The cable run is approx. 25 metres. CPD is 32A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back