Possible Building Control Issue At Sale

we are talking building corridors or 1st floor means of escape plus sprinklers.
Potentially, a sprinkler or mist system and a Grade C, LD2 alarm system and no corridors, but fire doors on habitable rooms off the landing.

Sponsored Links
I'm not overly informed on these matters, but from the way you've marketed your house, 2 beds and a loft/storage room, what is the issue? The stairs instead of a loft ladder?

If I were to build some stairs to my loft (totally unconverted) would I have the same issues? Can't you just make it more "loft like"?

I'm not overly informed on these matters, but from the way you've marketed your house, 2 beds and a loft/storage room, what is the issue? The stairs instead of a loft ladder?

If I were to build some stairs to my loft (totally unconverted) would I have the same issues? Can't you just make it more "loft like"?

Yeh, building regs apply if it's habitable - regardless of what you use it for.

So is having stairs making it habitable? If not, could you make it not habitable? remove carpet, remove a radiator........ then you have just a loft with stairs...... the new owner can then chose to connect the rad and add a carpet....

Sponsored Links
So is having stairs making it habitable? If not, could you make it not habitable? remove carpet, remove a radiator........ then you have just a loft with stairs...... the new owner can then chose to connect the rad and add a carpet....
For the situation you describe, is not just a case of removing stairs, and some fittings. The loft would need to be deconverted back to almost it's previous state - so that it's not easy to re-convert it once the front door is closed.

For the situation you describe, is not just a case of removing stairs, and some fittings. The loft would need to be deconverted back to almost it's previous state - so that it's not easy to re-convert it once the front door is closed.
Right - sounds like the OP is in a world of pain then. Saying that, when we were house hunting a couple of years back, there were a few with "storage areas" for lofts that clearly were habitable but could not be classed as such - but then I suppose BC weren't involved.

Building Control know when somebody has 'converted' a loft for use as a habitable room or just for storage. Some modifications they would consider would be the installation of a permanent staircase, structural alterations,plastered walls , socket outlets ,warm roof, and in these sort of cases you have to comply with bldg. regs. A loft can be used for just storage but then they would expect to see access by a loft ladder rather than a permanent staircase.

OP:

A section 36 enforcement notice cannot be served on you after the expiration of 12 months from the date of completion of the building work. A local authority also cannot take enforcement action under section 36 if the work which you have carried out is in accordance with your full plans application which the authority approved or failed to reject.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control/38/building_regulations/3

It's highly unlikely Building Control will take enforcement action, given the time which has passed.

The question then becomes whether a buyer will purchase the property where there is no completion certificate. That very much depends on the buyer, but if the room is not marketed as habitable, and you have proof that the work already done is structurally sound and compliant, I would imagine many may be happy that it is potentially habitable with some work.

However, a lot of buyers will be constrained by their mortgage company. If the mortgage company does not lend against a property because of the incomplete works, then an indemnity policy usually suffices. If this cannot be obtained (have you asked your solicitor - there may be options even if Building Control are aware), then you may be limited to either a cash buyer, or a mortgage company which will lend against such a conversion.

But it isn't potentially habitable legally if the fire safety aspects cannot be met due to the problems with providing a protected escape route.
The only option I can see is checking with Building Control if Woody's suggestion for a sprinkler system etc would be an acceptable alternative.

Just sell the place to these guys...problem solved:

https://www.webuyanyhome.com/sell-house-fast/

Which word is missing from the highlighted sentence ?

0z5.jpg

Lets hope they proof read legal documents better than they proof read their website

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back