Possible Causes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'm slightly concerned by these cracks, they're roughly the same position inside and out which is concerning, but they do not look new. Also, the external picture has a fainter crack, from the downstairs window to the middle of the upstairs window, looks like this one is just the render though?

Has anyone got any experience with this type of thing, not sure where to start?

f9PL7v1

a>

a>

YDj02QL

Sponsored Links
The arch has cracked probably due to closeness to the verge and common movement, or maybe helped by water getting in to the wall from the defective verge and causing some shrinkage. Rectify the verge and fill the crack in the render before plaster repairs.

Is that a crack central between the two windows?

The arch has cracked probably due to closeness to the verge and common movement, or maybe helped by water getting in to the wall from the defective verge and causing some shrinkage. Rectify the verge and fill the crack in the render before plaster repairs.

yep, a hairline type crack up the centre of them

You’ll have to help me here - which bit is the verge and how do I rectify it :D

Sponsored Links
The verge is the end of the roof tiles. Research or ask another question in the roofing forum.

The cracks should be filled with a cement grout or mastic, and then just monitor to make sure that they are not widening over time - seasons or years even. They may well be just common movement from age and some seasonal shrinkage at some time.

Pay special attention to any crack in the bedroom cill.

The verge is the end of the roof tiles. Research or ask another question in the roofing forum.

The cracks should be filled with a cement grout or mastic, and then just monitor to make sure that they are not widening over time - seasons or years even. They may well be just common movement from age and some seasonal shrinkage at some time.

Pay special attention to any crack in the bedroom cill.

so not subsidence? I was concern that I might be sinking in to Derbyshire's limestone core

Resurrecting this one after I spotted this in the property attached to mine and overheard they were having a ‘survey’

EC7AB5C9-9D38-4E32-BC7A-E144D157E953.jpeg

So in the above the crack from the middle of the window to the edge of the roof tiles.

To me it doesn’t look like ground movement but I’m a layperson and rely on what I google - any ideas as to why this one is cracking here?

They also have the same crack I do, on the front window, running diagonal to the roof tiles -
A79DF54F-24B2-4DAF-A388-D555A61A6DBB.jpeg

Last edited:
I would say that the roofs have settled and spread a bit, due to age and possibly contributed to by those heavy concrete tiles replacing the original covering. Normally it pushes the front and rear walls over (I'm sure you've noticed many terraced house walls leaning and in extreme cases being rebuilt due to this). In your case, it looks like you have a raised tie roof (the ties are the ceiling joists and will be restraining the gable wall above the windows with the lower section free to move).

IMG_20230118_091754450.jpg

Personally, as previously advised, I would continue to monitor it - it could be incredibly slow moving (decades) or even have stopped. If it is actively moving then likely remedial repair will involve some kind of strapping to tie it all together.

I would make friends with the neighbours and see if they'll share their report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back