possible fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not really sure how to test my boiler or meter for that matter. However i think my meter is running way to fast when my boiler is switched so i made a little video.

The boiler is a Potterton Suprima 70l. The temperature control is on half. THe tank thermostat is on 50. I switched on the boiler and made a video of the meter running?

Could my boiler have a problem. Only reason i ask i use an average of 5 hours of heating a day and 1 hour of water.

I have 9 radiators and the trv's on three of them are turned totally down near enough closed.

My bill for gas came to £191 for 37 days. This cant be right can it?

How can i test if something is wrong or do i have to call in a pro? I read something about the hotwater test?

Nothing else is on except for the heating no other gas using appliance.

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/so1o6/media/IMG_0409.mp4.html

Sponsored Links
If that vid is continuas then it looks like the right hand dial is jumping, it should be a steady rate, contact your supplier & ask that they send someone out to check the meter

Thanks for the reply. I thought something was not right. Which dial is it you think is jumping. From left to right which digit column?

I have spoken to various family members and their bill is high but not this high. Even the old property i was at, the heating was £400-£500 for a quarter and this wa sin constant use. I honestly dont know how the hell mine is £200 or so for just over a month. I hsrdly use it.

According to that vid it's used 0.03m3 in 50 seconds, which works out at just over 2.1 m3 per hour. Which is right for that boiler if the system was starting from cold.

Sponsored Links
People always imagine that they are paying too much for anything. But they rarely are!

Reminds me of a customer who asked the price and before I had even replied said that it was too much!

you may be right i didn't work out the gas rate, but it still looks like the dial is jumping to me & i would get it checked

Thanks people for the help

I don't mind paying but with the wife and me being at work between 8-7.30 daily it seems pretty high to me.

I wil take a closer look at the meter to see if it is jumping.

- - OK your both out at work all day might be worth taking a reading as you go to work and when you come back,
- - You say what the boiler thermostat and hot water stat are on but nothing about your timer/room stat.
- - So is the boiler off or on a reduced temperature during the day? Possibly the boiler is in effect running all day just to keep the chill off the house especially if the room stat is in a room that's got the valve/TRV shut down.

The room stat is in the hall way which is set to 19c.

The boiler is off during the day. It only comes on at 7pm, i get home from work at 7.30pm manually shut the water(only used for washing) leave the c/h running for a few hours.

I have checked the meter before going work and when coming back and it has not moved at all.

Could a problem with the boiler be causing this high consumption? Its all working fine.

Quick question, if the boiler is set to max this will heat the rads quicker right?i can then turn it off whereas if the boiler is set to half this takes longer to heat the rads but which way consumes more gas?

adjusting the stat on the boiler will not affect the speed which your system heats up, it only affects the temp it will get too

No if the stat is at half then the boilers flame will cut out when the water leaving the boiler reaches that temp lets say for instance it is 55 C and at full the boilers flame will not cut out untill the water leaving the boiler reaches say 82 C the figures are just examples but that is how your stat operates modern boilers operate differently but yes the lower the stat normally the lower the gas usage

Could a problem with the boiler be causing this high consumption?

It's amazing how people will only read what they want to read.
There's nothing wrong with your boiler, it's operating at the lower end of it's range and could be using more gas if the burner pressure was adjusted up. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing but is it possible that :?:
- if the flow through the rads is low (as in shut down to much on lockshield valves) then house will take a time to get to target heat.
- during this time the return temp is always low and the boiler simply keeps on burning (subject to its own thermostat).
- eventually stat in hall says target temp reached.
- possible fix open up lockshields all round and balance (if required)

For those who know better, please shoot me down if I'm all wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back