Possible flue fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have an Alpha CB24 Combi Boiler, it's approx 5 years old. I noticed towards the end of last winter that when boiler fired up to heat rads it would ignite 2 or 3 times before it fired up and stayed on, i didn't worry to much as the heating was working ok and hot water was also ok.
i've recently had boiler serviced and i mentioned this to enginner. he advised me that it was probably a fault with the flue, he said it sounds like the clips on the bend had cracked on the inner pipe and it needed replacing ?? he told me to check flue in loft to see if pipe was warm on the bend when heating on and it was.. Does this sound right and if so, is it an easy fault to rectify ...

Sponsored Links
No joke mate, though i'm thinking he was a bit of a joker. He made his diagnosis without even looking at flue, and guess what, the flue's the only thing thats not coverd.. you got any ideas ..

any registered engineer would treat a flue fault as serious not just fob it off

sounds like a right clown :evil:

as for replacing flue clamps on a concentric flue it means dismantling the flue

that is NOT a diy job :cry:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they sent me a right clown then cause he told me to do it myself and save money, he even left me a couple of little metal clamps.. I'm thinking i may report him.. Thanks for that .. should i be concerned about boiler not igniting first time ???

Sounds like they sent me a right clown then ...
Breakdown insurance job by any chance? I can not imagine that a flue problem would not be covered as it is considered to be a part of the boiler.

Breakdown insurance job by any chance? I can not imagine that a flue problem would not be covered as it is considered to be a part of the boiler.

It definately should be!!!! The 'engineers' rather blaze attitude toward a potential flue problem is shocking......

who is the breakdown cover with??? If its BG, get on the phone NOW..... your flue is covered.....

Just reading through contract, it's says nothing about flue not been coverd, look's like they sent me a right jobs worth, the cover was with Alpha and the service was carried out by a local contractor, but the alpha agreement has just been taken over by homeserve so it look's like i'll be calling them on monday. does it sound like a flue problem ?? should i be concerned or does it sound like something else ??

There are safety issues involved with flue faults!

A flue fault can be identified at the boiler using a flue gas analyser which any serious engineer will have and should know how to use!

He is correct that a leaking joint will usually be evidenced by a warm outer tube.

Anything to do with the flue is NOT a DIY job and needs a gas registered person.

I actually doubt that the delayed ignition is actually a flue fault. Nevertheless the flue should be checked as its a safety issue.

Tony

All Balanced Flue Systems Technically ARE PART OF THE APPLIANCE, in so far that they cannot be fitted to any other make or model of boiler, and therefore should be covered by any Breakdown insurance policy
You should contact Blue -Fin, their Boiler Breaksown policy is fantastic, your local RGI can carry out the work and NO HOMESERVE WOMBLES!! :LOL:

Contact details for them please, I know several people who are looking for exactly that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back