Possible To Get Small, Cheap Lead Burning Torch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do a bit of lead work for myself. I don't have any oxy gear, and such a small job would make it eneconomical to get bottles, torches, etc.

Is there some kind of small torch that you can get to do minor burning jobs?

Sponsored Links
There is a small kit available, i think it's called a turbo torch kit that comes with disposable bottles. Not heard great feedback about it but probably cheaper than going for the normal oxy acetylene set up.

Another one is "Home Plus Portapack Brazing & Welding Kit"

I actually use a set that is virtually identical to the oxy turbo 90. In fact it's older without the finer control valves on the torch itself.

I suggest you work with the flame set as small as you can get it, i.e with the very minimum of oxygen. Even then you will use several more oxygen cans than the fuel canister, so get at least one spare oxygen cannister at the same time. They do not last very long.

I have made up lead slates for pipes, as well as a lot of flat roof detailing with mine. However, as hard as I can try, I can't work in the vertical so my skills are limited to work I can do on gentle inclines. i.e burn the lead as nessary on a worksurface by adjusting the position of the lead, then finally position and finish the lead complete with any dressing/bossing.

Don't try it on a windy day, the flame can be easily blown out.

Sponsored Links
As above but certainly the oxy turbo 90 you may regret after constantly getting new o2 cylinders they are not cheap.. be warned. I tried it and ditched it based on this.

I need to do a bit of lead work for myself. I don't have any oxy gear, and such a small job would make it eneconomical to get bottles, torches, etc.

Is there some kind of small torch that you can get to do minor burning jobs?
Why not just pay some one to lead burn it for you if it's only a small job
cheaper in the long run...

Hi Folks,

This has to be one of the best " legal " scams going ?

I bought a kit recently for my hobby ( repairing and restoring Military cap badges ), occasionally I need to use braze.

Since buying the kit I have had to replace the oxy bottle five times and there is still some gas in the gas bottle, in total, I doubt if the torch was actually lit for more than three hours and at an average of £25.00p a bottle...............wow.

Very, very expensive, although I appreciate these are Italian, I am still very cynical, those who use this equipment have become a ' captive audience ', so personally, I am very disappointed and I would not recommend this kit to anyone for any reason.

I have now got to go and order yet another bottle of Oxygen :evil:

Dave.

for smaller flashing jobs i use a rothenberger micro fire torch. little hand held with small mapp gas bottle. £50 and £10 for a gas bottle. so much cheaper than twin rig setups and easier to use on a roof ladder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back