possible to replace a NSB06 fuse cartridge with a NSB16?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive moved into a brand new house (new build) and recently converted my attic into my sons gaming room, in there we have new 800l marine fish tank with heating fish tank, a high spec gaming console, a electric heater and some other small lights lamps etc , its ok with the tank and computer but when ever we put the heater on it seems to trip the fuse after around 20mins. The fuses are all Wylex NSB, the fuse which is tripping is the upstairs lighting circuit which is NSB06. Is it possible to replace this with a NSB16, im guessing the power is running off a spur off the upstairs lighting circuit as thats the fuse thats tripping and when i changed the socket to a 3 gang it was a thin L/N/E wire.

Any cheap solutions to this without paying for a qualified leccy much appreciated.

I have thought about perhaps running an extension from a upstairs socket which is running off NSB32 but it would be easier if i could just replace the fuse but obviously dont want to cause a electrical hazard.

Sponsored Links
The 6amp mcb is there to protect the wires for the lights which are probably 1.5mm. if you upgraded the mcb you run a very real risk of melting that thin wire and causing a fire

So the answer is NO.

You need an elecdtrician to remove the old very dodgy wiring and put in a suitable ring or spur using the correct wire

Oh, and I hope you reinforced the floor under the near tonne of water youve perched into what was a non load bearing part of the house

You have a 13 amp socket connected to a lighting circuit?

Not a good idea as you have seen.

You cannot change from 6 amp to 16 amp.

You need to completely disconnect the socket from the lighting circuit and re-feed it.

You need to find a supply, either the consumer unit or a nearby socket that has been wired properly.

If you have a socket you need to be sure it suitable to either run a spur off it, or better still extend the circuit (if a ring) which would give you more scope for additional sockets.

Usually 2.5 mm twin and earth cable would be the norm to use. Use earth sleeving on all bare earth wires.

And if your wiring is likely to catch fire from overloading you may want to consider means of escape from the attic...

Sponsored Links
how can the wiring be old and dodgy it is a brand new house?

what would you think to running a extention through from a upstairs socket?

yes the floor is reinforced, infact the tank is low and long its around 7ft long so spread over a few joists anyhow

how can the wiring be old and dodgy it is a brand new house?

what would you think to running a extention through from a upstairs socket?

yes the floor is reinforced, infact the tank is low and long its around 7ft long so spread over a few joists anyhow

If by extension you mean a hard-wired spur, and not an extension lead, then I think it's a good idea if done properly. See my earlier post.

Wiring a 13amp socket from a 6 amp circuit is dodgy and illegal no matter how old the building is

As is boarding over the joists to make a room. If your turning a loft into a room it must have RSJ's fitted and the floor must'nt put weight on the joists. You also need fires doors fitted along the whole escape route or the loft needs to be fireproofed to 1 hour standard and an escape window fitted

Sorry but the building regulations are there for a reason

madmole the conversion was done by a qualified joiner not by myself, there is a window and valid escape route. i was just showing how the tank weight is spread.

back to the electric problem i was thinking justplug an extention in and feed it through to the loft?

Not much of an improvement though, is it?

Does your qualified joiner know a qualified electrician?

Once it's done properly you'll never regret it.

i can get a eletrician in to do it i was just dont really want to spend £100 or wotever it is to get it done, thought i get some advise here first.

looks like im going to have to thought, unless i try and wire the spur off a socket myself

madmole the conversion was done by a qualified joiner not by myself
When he, or you, applied for Building Regulations approval, what did he, or you, say would be the way that the electrical work would comply with P1, and how did you manage to get a Building Regulations completion certificate given what was actually done?

You did apply for Building Regulations approval? If not then the problems of now having an illegal loft conversion are probably more pressing to deal with than not being able to heat a fish tank.

looks like im going to have to thought, unless i try and wire the spur off a socket myself
No - please get an electrician.

there was a double socket up there when the work was finished. when it was done i did not explain or even know id have a heater and fish tank up there.

im pretty sure i know what im doing with the spur, find a nearby socket with 2 wires goin in, test for resistance, if its ok 2 go feed 2.5 cable to my new socket

there was a double socket up there when the work was finished.
So whoever did the electrical work put a double socket outlet on a lighting circuit.

Did you, or did you not, apply for Building Regulations approval for this loft conversion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back