Possible wiring fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been investiging my wiring and I'm not sure if the wiring is correct.

I think it's a radial circuit, 3 sockets on the main radial and 3 spurs. All main sockets have 6 wires, all spurs 3. There is a junction box somewhere in the loft.

However, the main fuse is 30amp, which tells me it should either be a ring main or it's the wrong size fuse. If it's a ring main shouldn't the main sockets have 9 wires? If it's a radial why do I have a 30 amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
1) Why would you expect to see 9 wires at a socket if it's a ring final but only 6 if it's a radial? It would be worth you drawing it.

2) How many conductors come out of the fuse?

1) Why would you expect to see 9 wires at a socket if it's a ring final but only 6 if it's a radial? It would be worth you drawing it.

because a ring with spurs would have feed in, feed out and feed to spur..
a radial could only have feed in and feed out.. if it's linear..
the presence of sockets with only feed in indicates that they are either spurs from a ring, or end of line for a linear radial..

2) How many conductors come out of the fuse?

how should I know, it's not my house.. :)

Sponsored Links
how should I know, it's not my house.. :)
Which is probably why I wasn't asking you. :D

And I'm not going to respond to your stuff about cables either, as I'd like the OP to think for himself. It would be handy, actually, if you'd edit that part out of your post before he sees it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back