Possibly blown up Potterton Profile 50e......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I know this boiler is ancient but ideally I'd like to keep it as it's supposedly very hardy. Basically I think I've been a very silly boy and when attempting to change a room thermostat with guesswork......I know.... I have wired it up incorrectly and heard a pop/fuse blown type noise.

This unsurprisingly stopped the boiler working, I have since replaced the wall plug with the correct 3a fuse (which was a 13a which I suspect wouldn't have protected the boiler etc. From my stupidity).

This is now getting mains power to the boiler I'm sure as I can hear it make a noise when I click the switch from Gravity/Fully pumped on the boiler but it is just not firing.

I've opened the junction box and can't see any fuses in there and the external circulating pump is also making a noise.

I've attempted the reset button which doesn't seem to click on the boiler and tried turning off then on etc. On the boiler dial.

Is there anything else I can try to avoid an expensive bill or have I possibly fried the pcb etc.?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention I've also replaced the internal 1a glass fuse in the boiler which wasn't broken but I replaced just in case.

Its an upstairs top floor flat which I assume is "gravity fed" as there is a tank in the loft?

Whilst decorating I've had the thermostat off where obv the heating hasn't been working but I've still been able to get hot water using the programmer, and the boiler would fire up etc. To heat the water but now it's just not firing.

Any ideas, cheers
smile.gif

Can you describe what your wiring error was on the thermostat? Have you tried wiring the boiler to the mains using a flying lead - thus eliminating any of the controls? Do not take the metal front case off the boiler under any circumstances.

Can you describe what your wiring error was on the thermostat? Have you tried wiring the boiler to the mains using a flying lead - thus eliminating any of the controls? Do not take the metal front case off the boiler under any circumstances.

Hi, unfortunately I think I'm a little out of my depth, initially I was just trying to connect the new thermostat which was obv wrong and that's what blew the fuse etc. I have already taken the metal from off to check the fan etc. Was this a mistake?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the best advice we can offer you now is to get someone in who knows what they're doing. Boiler now needs to be checked for safe operation, and that's not a DIY job.

TBH if you fooked up a simple thermostat swap then you have no chance of mending it yourself.

Over and out.

Most people who flecked up a thermostat swap have blown the programmer. DIY can be more expensive than getting a pro in!

Cut you losses now.

why the fook would someone attempt wiring and opening the boiler when they haven't a fooking clue what their doing ,?? because of your stupidity i hope the PCB is blown then maybe you will learn the hard way through your pocket . stop being a tight git and put your hand in your pocket and stick to what you do know:ROFLMAO:;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back