Post and fixing advice for a covered decking project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning the building of a covered decking area approximately 3.5m2.
I plan to use 3.6mx100x100mm use class 4 graded gate/fence posts at the corners cemented into the ground, a decked floor attached to a joist frame between the posts and then a sharply sloping roof with external grade chipboard and felted attached to the upright posts, which will be cut to match the height and angle of the roof. Two sides of the deck will then be enclosed to create a suntrap, sheltered seating area.
But now I am wondering if it would be more practical to use 750mm metposts to avoid having to dig the holes and to keep the uprights above ground level. The area is currently lawn. Perhaps then I could use treated but non-UC4 graded posts. The posts will be taking a reasonable weight of the roof and I clearly want it to be secure and long lasting.
Any views from the professionals on the best route to take?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back