Post any old song you can think of.

Sponsored Links
When i open a coffee shop i'm gonna call it...

...'The Little Red Roaster.' :cool:

When I used to do banger and hot rod racing nearly 50 years ago now, on the slow warm-up lap, they always used to play this Record. You weren’t allowed to put your toe down until they waved the start flag and the music went off. Always brings back memories for me. Only exception was the last race of the evening - the death and destruction derby where they played it several times during the carnage!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Around the same time this record was out. I can remember it coming on the telly and my Dad shouting out to my mum, "Shirl, get in here. There’s a geezer on the telly wearing make up". He did that every time a Glam Rock group came on TOTP.

Around the same time this record was out. I can remember it coming on the telly and my Dad shouting out to my mum, "Shirl, get in here. There’s a geezer on the telly wearing make up". He did that every time a Glam Rock group came on TOTP.

They weren't really a glam rock band, they only did it for sales for Chinn & Chapman, along with the aforementioned Suzi Quatro (amongst others). There is a lot of their stuff on Youtube, well worth a look,

No? Only number seven in this list of 50!

Glam was a small part of their history, along with a lot on that list. David Bowie is not a glam rock artist, he was for a brief period-before most others, but it is what a lot of them are remembered for.

The Sweet rock! - Their 1989 album 'Live at the Marquee' is a masterpeice of mayhem.
A hint of that future can be seen in the classic 'Teenage Rampage'.

Man, that tune really clears the custard at this time o' the mornin':cool:

Heard this one on the radio this morning. The bands seemed to enjoy themselves a lot more in those days and they weren't up their own arses. Sound up. Get dancing! :giggle: (y)

The one who always wore a dress and earrings became a very successful and wealthy pop producer and songwriter (of crap).
The Sweet rock! - Their 1989 album 'Live at the Marquee' is a masterpeice of mayhem.
A hint of that future can be seen in the classic 'Teenage Rampage'.

Man, that tune really clears the custard at this time o' the mornin':cool:
The Sweet were great. Did you know that Brian Connolly's brother was Mick MacManus who played Taggart? Both died of alcoholism, very sad.

The one who always wore a dress and earrings became a very successful and wealthy pop producer and songwriter (of crap).

The Sweet were great. Did you know that Brian Connolly's brother was Mick MacManus who played Taggart? Both died of alcoholism, very sad.
I wasn't aware he was related to Taggart but i read of his alcoholism and wonder how things might've been if he'd had a chance to lead the band into the 80s. In that video you can see him trying an imitation of Robert Plant but he just didn't have the voice to make the sound Rock in the same way. When Mick Tucker and Andy Scott took charge the band really grew a pair and put some juice into the old classics - their version of Ballroom Blitz at the Marquee really bounced!

Last edited:
I wasn't aware he was related to Taggart but i read of his alcoholism and wonder how things might've been if he'd had a chance to lead the band into the 80s. In that video you can see him trying an imitation of Robert Plant but he just didn't have the voice to make the sound Rock in the same way. When Mick Tucker and Andy Scott took charge the band really grew a pair and put some juice into the old classics - their version of Ballroom Blitz at the Marquee really bounced!

There was a good documentary about Brian Connolly on TV in the 90s, part of a series of pop stars down on their luck, I've got it on video tape. He was on tour with his own version of The Sweet playing the likes of holiday camps. It was very near the end of his life and he was in a bad way, will look for it on YT and post it. The story about him being Taggart's brother is subject to question, it's one of rock's myths or mysteries. The original story was that they didn't know they were each other's brother until late in life, having been separately adopted. Taggart was Mark, not Mick, MacManus as I wrongly stated above. Mick MacManus was a wrestler of course.

I read Brian was adopted, Connolly was his mothers name. Later people remarked about how similar Mark and Brian were so it was suggested Marks dad had fathered Brian with ms Connolly. Shame we will probably never know, both great in their own ways.
There are loads of videos from this session

Sponsored Links
Back