Post Office rip-off

L

longdogs

I've just been up to my local post office to collect yet another christmas card that was too bulky to get through my letter box. That's the third so far this year. The card was sent second class and in plenty of time but because it was too bulky - approx 3mm due to some little stick-on stars etc, it was returned to the post office for collection and further payment.

I was charged £1.10, thats 10pence for the extra postage and £1 handling fee. I'm sorry!, I thought the sender had already paid for handling.

Obviously I had a moan at the woman serving behind the counter and she said that they get hundreds of parcels returned every week and that it was really p*ssing her off. I know the feeling.

If my postman is expecting a tip from me this year, the tip is this: Don't knock on my door or you will get a one of those empty wrapping paper rolls shoved up your *rse.

Sponsored Links
It’s not your postman’s fault or the fault of the Post Office counter staff though is it, it’s the Knob who sent it who cannot get their tiny brain around what you can and cannot send within the limits set out by Royal Mail as widely publicised in the Press for a few years now, advertised on their website or in every Post Office across the country.

Sponsored Links
You think thats bad listen to this one -

One of the staff contributors for Practical Performance Car magazine recently ordered a custom engine ECU from a major manufacturer who sent it via Royal Mail, recorded delivery. It never arrived, nor was it ever returned to sender.
Compensation was claimed and eventually given from Royal Mail.

Then a few months later someone spots the ECU on EBay. Turns out the RM have an undeliverable parcel depot and periodically sell items off to a third party and thence to the general public. And someone had got hold of this ECU and decide to sell it on EBay.

Pity it was for a V12 Metor tank engine and useless for anything else.

it’s the Knob who sent it who cannot get their tiny brain around what you can and cannot send within the limits set out by Royal Mail .

I'm afraid that the 'knob' who sent it (my sister) has a life and doesn't have the time to measure bits of foam on a christmas card. I'm pleased that some people do have the time though!

If my postman is expecting a tip from me this year, the tip is this: Don't knock on my door or you will get a one of those empty wrapping paper rolls shoved up your *rse.
As someone who knows how postal systems work I can tell you that it’s neither your postman or the counter staff you saw at the sorting office who are responsible for the item being withheld form delivery pending excess payment. Out of spec items are detected by the automated sorting system which checks item size against the amount paid. High speed automated systems cannot handle such items so they are rejected & have to be sorted using other, slower methods & ultimately may have to be manually sorted. This costs more & is why you have to pay the excess.

As FMT said, the parameters & charges have been widely publicised by Royal Mail in the Press, advertised on their website & in every Post Office across the country; if the public chose to ignore it, it’s their problem. The high level of the excess may be irritating but is intended to act as an education & deterrent which I assume it will do when you tell your sister about the excess fee you had to pay. ;)

So shoving an empty wrapping tube up your postman’s asre will make no difference at all apart from you getting rightfully prosecuted for assault. :rolleyes:

ask the postman if he knows how to use the bell, thats what my does if it don't fit in the letterbox he knocks and hands it to me or leaves at next door as they are always in. ;)

ask the postman if he knows how to use the bell, thats what my does if it don't fit in the letterbox he knocks and hands it to me or leaves at next door as they are always in. ;)
That’s what all posties will do; squeaky has got it wrong, the surcharge wasn't because the item wouldn’t fit through his letter box it was because insufficient postage had been paid for the size/weight of the item when it was posted.

That’s what all posties will do; squeaky has got it wrong, the surcharge wasn't because the item wouldn’t fit through his letter box it was because insufficient postage had been paid for the size/weight of the item when it was posted.

glad to know that you are also a postman... hence your posts... :D

You're joking, surely? I've had to pick up multiple parcels recently because they don't comprehend that the small button on the doorframe makes a noise inside the house so I know they're at the door.

You're joking, surely? I've had to pick up multiple parcels recently because they don't comprehend that the small button on the doorframe makes a noise inside the house so I know they're at the door.
No I’m not & your now talking about a completely different business. Parcels are delivered by “Parcelforce”; they are a parcels courier which is a completely different business, has totally separate staff, vehicles & delivery network to “Royal Mail Letters”. Like any other parcel courier, if you’re not in when they attempt to deliver the item will be returned to the sorting office/depot but you have the opportunity to have it delivered on another day or collect it yourself. As for them not pushing the button on the door frame, most postal staff are very helpful if you give them half a chance, mine puts any items that will fit through the cat flap around the back. There was some sharp practice reported in the media a while back about no attempt at delivery (just delivering cards) but I think you will find that little trick has been firmly squashed; if you have any doubt or have a complaint, voice it to your local delivery office manager not to the postie or counter staff. ;)

No I’m not & your now talking about a completely different business. Parcels are delivered by “Parcelforce”; they are a parcels courier which is a completely different business, has totally separate staff, vehicles & delivery network to “Royal Mail Letters”.

Please don't tell me who I'm talking about. The Royal Mail deliver parcels. They have a parcel service, they also deliver items requiring a signature or delivery by a specific time. It is these deliveries I am complaining about. If it were ParcelFarce, I'd not have mentioned it.

Sponsored Links
Back