Postcrete vs concrete

Mixing concrete by hand is hard work, but you will only be doing one or two posts at a time, and you can sit down for a mug of tea between them.

If the ground in the hole is wet, you can use a drier mix as it will absorb moisture from the hole. You must pack it down firmly and the water lubricates the particles. After the first one you will know.

Sponsored Links
I'll definitely be going with the postcrete option

Any best practices in terms of how to use postcrete?

Or is it just a case of filling the hole half with water and then pouring in 1 to 2 bags of postcrete?

Sponsored Links
I always think a very good practice is to follow the instructions.

Don't fill the hole all the way. Start about half way, bring up with post mix until dry mix starts showing. Give it a swizzle with a length of timber (I used a bit of old broomstick) then top up with water/mix until you get to your level.

I have just had a tonne agrigate tipped at £45 and cement £5 a bag. all inc vat.

I would certainly do it by hand if I had 30 to do, it is not hard work mixing 6 stone up per post. I would only use postcrete if I had a couple of posts to do and had no loose materials to use. Its good but stupidly expensive.

I do too, but for those people that use postcrete often i.e installers may have useful advice to offer!
Yeah - your right - Im sorry.

It is not uncommon for "official" instructions to cover the easist way to do things and there are better ways but which are harder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back