Potential problem adding TRVs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... I am currently getting quotes to have my boiler replaced and have been informed that adding TRV's is now mandatory when replacing a boiler, but the engineer seemed to think he might have problems installing them because of how the radiators are fitted (pipes coming out of wall at an angle - see photo).

When he comes back to me with his quote I can ask more, but what are the potential problems with fitting a TRV to this type of connection....

Is it that there's not enough room between the radiator and the pipe ?
Is it just that some TRV's are bulky so might not fit (from looking online I think smaller ones are available, just a bit more expensive).
Is it that the pipe is small ? (I haven't measured the pipe yet but appears small).

I think I have read somewhere online that it's a requirement "where practical" but I don't want the engineer to say he can't sign it off and unable to give me the gas safe registration certificate.

Thanks

Radiator Valve.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yes, it’s now part of regulations that TRV’s are fitted. Is the pipework the same on the other side?

Sponsored Links
He'll be bemoning the fact that its microbore, 10mm if your lucky, 8mm if you're not.

No reason the TRV's cannot be fitted to them the way they are but they can be a right pain if you can't get native 8/10mm ends, if the microbore has been over compressed (necked), or they already have snap reducers, they are notoriously difficult to re-use. All comes down to how much extra pipe is in the wall and whether 15mm reducers could be fitted

That will also be a 'mare' to clean/flush properly if it's all microbore.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok, thanks for the replies CBW and Madrab.... Now for the follow up possibly stupid questions.......

Why would the pipes have been installed within the walls in the first place ?
I assume putting them in the wall is what dictated the use of smaller pipes.

How much of a ball ache would you expect it to be to put in new replacement pipes through the floor ?
6 radiators (3 upstairs, 3 downstairs), all timber floors. Is it likely a case of emptying the whole room to lift the chipboard flooring or would local access be sufficient. I'm anticipating you saying it depends how far the reduced pipes extend but is it probable that they are just reduced where passing up the wall and generally will be normal sized below the floor ?

Thanks

Why would the pipes have been installed within the walls in the first place? I assume putting them in the wall is what dictated the use of smaller pipe.

It's safer to have microbore exiting a wall, minimises the chances of impact damage to the soft pipe. 15mm can come out of the wall too, really just comes down to the design

The ball ache of new pipework is picking up the 22mm backbone and running it to where it needs to be and then setting out and running the 15mm pipework. It can all be done, it just depends on floor/wall structure/layout and where the pipework needs to be run, that'll define how easy/difficult it will be and therefore how much it'll cost.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back