poterton back boiler fire working no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
poterton back boiler not working proper fire working but no heating slight smell of burning heating was working fine up till last week :confused:

Sponsored Links
Get a Gas Safe Engineer in ASAP. I don`t like the sound of that - and I like gas fires even less .

poterton back boiler not working proper fire working but no heating slight smell of burning heating was working fine up till last week :confused:
Is the water heating up? If not, the most obvious problem is a sooted boiler. When was your last "annual" service? As Nigel suggested, if it is sooted, it is potentially LETHAL, and I am not exagerating. Turn it off and phone an RGI

Is the water heating up? If not, the most obvious problem is a sooted boiler. When was your last "annual" service? As Nigel suggested, if it is sooted, it is potentially LETHAL, and I am not exagerating. Turn it off and phone an RGI
thanks for that( the boiler has been hooverd by a competant heating eng) hot water is working but not as hot as used to be but the problem remains been told these boilers are a night mare that this could be the stat or circut board as the board is bad location on boiler and could be damaged easely with water or heat the boiler goes on for 1 hour sometimes 30min :confused:

Sponsored Links
To be fair, Potterton BB's were not the best. One annoyance was the flueeways are relatively small and easy to soot up. You say your guy is a competant heating engineer. Is he GS registered? Did he physically brush the boiler heat exchnger THROUGH the narrow flueways vertically and horizontally. No disrespect intended, but you'll understand that we have all seen hoovering and servicing to lax standards. Added to that, a lot of youger heating fitters have no experience of BBoilers. Your symptons still suggest a dirty boiler

To be fair, Potterton BB's were not the best. One annoyance was the flueeways are relatively small and easy to soot up. You say your guy is a competant heating engineer. Is he GS registered? Did he physically brush the boiler heat exchnger THROUGH the narrow flueways vertically and horizontally. No disrespect intended, but you'll understand that we have all seen hoovering and servicing to lax standards. Added to that, a lot of youger heating fitters have no experience of BBoilers. Your symptons still suggest a dirty boiler
thanks again for your reply will get that done once more but is this the case about this type of back boiler douse this happen ie thermostat or board a smoke test was done on flue and fire and was told not to use boiler as it was not working as it should be but to use the fire was ok.

Get a Gas Safe Engineer in ASAP. I don`t like the sound of that - and I like gas fires even less .
thanks for your reply will get service eng back to redue boiler do they have to drain system when cleaning exchanger and flue :unsure:

thanks again for your reply will get that done once more but is this the case about this type of back boiler douse this happen ie thermostat or board a smoke test was done on flue and fire and was told not to use boiler as it was not working as it should be but to use the fire was ok.
high limit stat thermocouple and pcb board are getting replaced :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back