Potterton 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler keeps losing all power this happens about once a month. The circuit board seems to be shorting out and when I move it the lights come back on and the boiler works fine. I want to replace this circuit board and the number on it is 21/18887.

Do you think this will solve the problem and can you recommend where to buy a new board ? NW London area.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
yes it definate pcb fault and replacing will sort it HRPC in wembley will have them in stock this is common fault caused by neutral soldering on top left of pcb drying out (be careful as they sometimes start to burn and melt things)

also i think part number should be 21/18867 ;)

Thanks for the answer I will swap my board for a refurbished board tomorrow and give it a go. After searching the web the dry joint seems to be a real problem with this PCB

I am dying to try the DIY solder option but haven't got the tools or know how.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I suppose if I take the board to any independant computer repair shop they might be able to re-solder the dry joint for me.

What do you think.

i think that any alterations to the pcb would be modifying the appliance and contravening the gas regulations so you should go and buy a new pcb :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

chrislondon said:
I am dying to try the DIY solder option but haven't got the tools or know how.

Thanks

A cheap soildering kit will do(less then a tenner)

i have done this myself on my old pcb and it went on for another year before playing up again.

just be tight with the solder. you have nothing to lose.

I have my eye on you, you young whippersnapper

repair does not mean modification

p.s. how good are you at identifying Suprima fans?

We've identified SEVEN different versions so far

"i think that any alterations to the pcb would be modifying the appliance and contravening the gas regulations so you should go and buy a new pcb"

WHat, like Potterton were doing on an almost weekly basis on the Suprima?, ha ha

Still ... nobody seems to want to fit Pottereton boilers anymore for some reason (even if they're now Baxi)

raden said:
"
Still ... nobody seems to want to fit Pottereton boilers anymore for some reason (even if they're now Baxi)

i dont know about that as we are still the best selling boiler manafacturer in the UK :D

and yes not bad at the old suprima fans 2 hole and 3 hole and all that and i still dont know why they had to change them so much for the part L thing weird :confused:

just be tight with the solder. you have nothing to lose.
No, put lashings of solder on. If it doesn't work you can always put more on, bridging out all the safety circuits and silly stuff that stops the gas coming out, until it goes.
It won't matter if it catches fire or anything, cos that would probably make the boiler leak water to put the flames out anyway.
If it overheats and you've done a proper job disabling the overheat stat the boiler might come off the wall, but it 's about time you got a new boiler anyway, probably.

Thanks for all the advice.

Well I bought myself a Solder iron and fixed it myself. The finished job looks just like all the other 'Proffessional' joints and the boiler is no longer sparking. Just glad I didn't buy a new PCB when it wasn't needed. It was such a simple job in the end and I'm sorry if it upset you ChrisR. Hopefully my soldering is up to the job and my house dosn't flood or burn down.

:D

Bet you budgered the board

I hope you realise that soderoing irons attract icebergs..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back