Potterton 80

Sponsored Links
raden said:
Bet you budgered the board

Why are you all so sarky about someone fixing there own boiler?.
losing money are you!

we are not all able to aford £70+ per hour for a plumber to pee in our sinks and talk to use like we are 5 year olds.

Plumbers are like dentists, you see them for 15 minutes pay a fortune and have to do it again in a weeks time.

Raden's jealous, he wanted to get hold of the board for a chance to fill it with car body filler.. ;)

Plumbers are NOT like dentists!

You go to the dentist at HIS place and wait until he is ready and pay £70 for 15 minutes and others are paying the same so his turnover is £280 per hour all day long. He does not need to advertise, just put a small sign up on the door.

A plumber has to drive a thirsty van for say 45 min to get to you, spend an hour and charge you more like £60 and then take 45 min to get back. Thats a total of 2½ hours which makes the net hourly rate about £22. He has to pay about £1000-£3000 for advertising in all the telephone directories.

I would rather be a dentist except that I dont like seeing people in pain!

Tony

PS has anyone seen an eejit lately?

Sponsored Links
markvirgo said:
raden said:
Bet you budgered the board

Why are you all so sarky about someone fixing there own boiler?.
losing money are you!

we are not all able to aford £70+ per hour for a plumber to pee in our sinks and talk to use like we are 5 year olds.

Plumbers are like dentists, you see them for 15 minutes pay a fortune and have to do it again in a weeks time.

What do you do for a living then **** :mad:
let us have a chance to slag you off on the forum cos we really deserve it you know coming on here and giving free :rolleyes: oh yes thats right FREE advice MUPPET :mad:

C'mon Mark, you're not just going to sit back annd be spoken top like that, are you?

BTW - I'm not of the CORGI sort - nor do I come and **** in people's sinks / jockey tanks, whatever

Agile said:
Plumbers are NOT like dentists!

A plumber has to drive a thirsty van for say 45 min to get to you, spend an hour and charge you more like £60 and then take 45 min to get back. Thats a total of 2½ hours which makes the net hourly rate about £22. He has to pay about £1000-£3000 for advertising in all the telephone directories.

I would rather be a dentist except that I dont like seeing people in pain!
Tony
PS has anyone seen an eejit lately?

my brother has just had a combi fitted, boiler worth £800, pipework etc £300, bill £2500 so thats £1400 labour for 1 days work. thats £175 per hour!
if he worked a full 8 hours.
I only use local Trades so there is no hour and a half journey.
I would like to meet a plumber that charges £60 for a honest hours graft.
A good Tradesman doesn't need to advertise that much.
All Tradesmen like to see their customers in pain when they tell them the cost.
as for the "has anyone seen an eejit lately?" what are you a plastic paddy?.

By the way i am a grafter, I drive a class 2 lorry all day,unloading by hand and live in a 2 bed house.

when have you ever meet a skint plumber?.

Don't get me wrong there are some good tradesmen out there. I was not saying that you lot aren't. I was not the one who started being sarky.

Sounds likely your brother had a boiler fitted by British Gas!

Or he did not bother to get three quotes?

In London the unregistered Polskys fit boilers for £200 inclusive of bits.

If your brothers truly paid £1400 for 1 days work by 1 plumber then he deserves to get ripped off for being dumb enough to pay. It must be a rubbish installation because its not possible to do the job properly that quick.

When I used to do combi swaps I allowed the equivalent of 2.5 days labour (and that was before powerflushing and condense drainage became part of the installation).

Was he too lazy to do his homework?, with the web its easy to check prices. Surely he had a wriiten qoute and knew how long it would take before the work commenced.

Perhaps he will learn something from this and next time be a little more vigilant. If customers like your brother didn't exist there would be no place for the cowboys to work and it would make life a lot easier for the quality installers (yes we all tarred with the same brush).

Hows your Worcester - sorted now :?:

I saw a 32 kW which had been fitted in 6½ hours.

Surprisingly, it had been fitted adequately with the flue sealed both inside and outside.

Where it fell down was he had not commissioned it, treated the water or investigated when he noticed the working pressure was only 17 mB.

He asked the customer to drain the system and put in cheap inhibitor!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back