Potterton Boiler - Constantly needing reset

D

debs2102

I have a rather old Potterton Prima boiler which works perfectly well apart from 1 thing. It won't fire up unless the reset button on the underside of the boiler is pushed in. It generally pops back out about an hour or so after the boiler fires up & won't fire again until it's pressed back in again. It's ok on a day to day basis but if we go away on hols it is a bit if a problem.
This happened after my father took the front off to tape the ignitor wire up, there was a small split in the coating which meant the spark was shooting out the side instead of from the end. Ever since then we have to push this button in. I tried keeping it forced in at the time it wanted to pop out but it sounded like the whole thing was going to blow, didn't try that again! I got an engineer out to service the boiler which he's done but mumbled something about bleeding the system & that might fix the issue. In all honesty I wasn't convinced he knew what he was doing. Before I go an call out a different engineer, does anyone out there know what could be causing this & does it sound like it may be an expensive repair? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
As you're both prepared to tamper with safety critical devices to get it going, I imagine any repair would seem expensive.

applying a small strip of electrical tape to stop a spark shooting from the side is hardly major, my father is a very accomplished DIY'er & wouldn't have done it if it was unsafe.
Thanks for your pointless response.

If a pro did that instead of replacing the lead you'd be happy to pay?

When a valve opens and lets gas into the chamber, I prefer to ensure the spark ignites it in the correct place at the correct moment. But my comments are pointless so you carry on tampering with your gas appliance, even though the fault isn't there.

Sponsored Links
leave the boiler for a qualified engineer. your fault with the O/h stat tripping is not at the boiler, check the pump prob weak as hell causing the boiler to overheat, and get an engineer to put a new HT lead on the boiler when he replaces the pump for you.

"in all honesty i Wasn't convinced he knew what he was doing", yet you think your father the "diyer" is competant to open up a positive pressure boiler and tape up the electrode.. call in a gas safe registered engineer.

"in all honesty i Wasn't convinced he knew what he was doing", yet you think your father the "diyer" is competant to open up a positive pressure boiler and tape up the electrode.. call in a gas safe registered engineer.

Ignorance is bliss............

Until someone dies of CO poisoning that is!

One consolation being it's a negative pressure case on this one , phew! ;)

OP if you still have the use of your arms after being hauled over the coals by this bunch i would phone get another engineer out and get him to look at the main boiler stat as it sounds like it is out of calibration and allowing boiler to get far to hot hence the over heat popping out as the boiler bangs away after being on for a while.
It will need renewed your problem is not air.
Also some would say a taped up electrode lead is better than just a plain one as its more insulated , i come across it all the time and find no prob with them

My money is on either a circulation issue or lazy pump overrun. Have you tried turning down flow temp does the boiler trip when either the timer switches off or call for heat is satisfied. Where did you get the numpty service engineer from

I agree. Check the circulation first. It is a different fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back