Potterton Envoy - Refuses to Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my sins I have a potterton Envoy 30 boiler - which has decided to
stop working (Probably on the coldest day of the year to date).
When I run on the HW or CH switch, the fan starts up and the boiler kicks into life like it normally would, however when it gets to the part where it is supposed to light - Well...It doesent . It trys 3 times before giving up and shutting down. There is no sign of a flame in the chamber?

Is there anything obvious I may be missing?

Not being versed in boiler maintenance I would be grateful for any ideas , as it is getting a bit parky in here.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
has it been working?...is the gas on at the meter and taps?. could be fan pressure switch, pcb or gas valve.

Everything has been working fine - Gas supply is ok -

My initial thought was the PCB which i think is about 170.00 , (a lot of money if it turns out to be something else) - The fact that it the whole fire up routine is exactly the same - even the final click (only without the spark) makes me think that if it was a fan pressure/gas valve type issue, it wouldn't go through the routine - It would (again I pressume) fail prior to the boiler attempting to ignite the gas ?

from memory its a condensing boiler i would look at the condense trap, check for blockages. if the condense waste runs to outside check for freezing. as condense on the electrodes causes lockout

Sponsored Links
Your right it is a condensing boiler (Although it's not been doing much of anything at the moment) I have hade a look at this , and checked the pipe and the drain, although there was some water in the drain overflow outlet? (It is what the manual calls it) , nothing else found that looks out of place.

Done all I can do I think. - Apparently a repair will be covered under my household insurance (wonders will never cease), so I will let the experts sort it out . I will post the outcome if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your help anyway - Least we tried.

Well - I knew it was to good to be true- Insurance will only payout if
boiler was serviced on a yearly basis - Its been 14 months since last one.
Typical!

So back to the drawing board - Baxi wont accept my money to come and fix it (Heatteam are too busy). What hope is there!

It's times like this you would pay through the teeth for that £15pm maint
contract that you nearly bought but didn't...

Sorted -

Ok - Here is what it was - On closer examination of the combustion chamber housing - I noticed what apeared to be a water stain running down the side towards the Hot surface ignighter connection -Mmmm

Obviously not being able to get the boiler up and running I couldn't see what was happening but I took a guess that this Leak? had damaged the HSI - Swapped the darn thing out (40 quid), and up fired the boiler first time.

Ok - I'm not a heating engineer , and probably removing the chanber to replace HSI is something to be left to the experts. And rightly to . I have shut it down (Going away for Chrimbo anyways) - And will have it fully serviced on my return by a qualifyed person. It does need it - Plus it means It will be covered on home insurance.

But anyway , back to the cause . It was condensation running back down the flu through a small split in the sealing gator - Over the top of boiler housing and onto the HSI -

So new gator as well required -

I have one point to make about this - the new HSI did not come with a "O" ring seal - Very dissappointed . I would have thought it obvious that
this part is required!!

Thanks for help. Merry Xmas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back