Potterton EP2000 replace with Nest\Hive ETC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm hoping some body could help me
i have a Halstead Best 50 Boiler (Ironic Name) pumped system with hot water tank
The boiler is controlled by a Potterton EP2000 programmer.
I can either have the boiler on or off at various times of the day
what i am struggling to find out is can i replace this programmer with a new modern one like a Nest or Hive which can be control the boiler if the room temperature reaches certain tolerances.

is it a case of remove the EP2000 and replace with new modern controller using existing wires or am i massively oversimplifying things?
Any help would be great,
Thanks
Jack

Sponsored Links
Yes. The Heatlink will replace the EP2000 and the Head unit can be placed anywhere that is near to a socket (I'm assuming you don't have an existing stat from the description)

Jon

Thank you Jon
I have searched the net from top to bottom to get an answer and you have helped straight away!

The EP programmer will have a bucket load of wires attached that you will need to rewire into choc blocks or a wiring centre. The new backplate won't have enough terminals on it to wire it up like the EP is.

Not sure on the nest but you can get a stand off box for the hive to give you room for the extra wiring.

Sponsored Links
Im assuming you are a diyer
Unless you are familiar with wiring you'll **** yourself when you open an ep2000

Either will work well I personally prefer hive to nest.

Agree with what you have previously been advised the EP range advertised their stuff as being a wiring centre built into a programmer, will need a fair bit of knowledge to replace it

Still quite easily replaceable with a nest though. Just need to know your wiring. Can't say for the hive as I have never installed one but the nest will go in pretty easily if you have some idea of what you are doing.

Jon

I have done this a few times - I also prefer Hive.
Buy a wiring centre and transfer the wiring from the EP. Test it using temporary link wires. Then wire the Hive into the wiring centre.
Hate the EP series - highly unreliable, expensive and deliberately designed to be awkward to replace.

And a Halstead boiler too. Someone was having a good chortle when they put that in....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back