Potterton EP2001 misbehaving after power cut; whats best direct replacement?

WBo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My unit is around 23 yrs old, never replaced the battery. Previous power cuts fine - just had to reset day/time and on/off settings. Could always use select on CH to go from Off/Auto/Once/Cont (in auto mode will follow timed on/off); HW the same. Following recent power trip (only took out sockets including heating but didn't affect lights) and then a power cut (of a few seconds) unit now only allows either HW or HW+CH. Select moves both sides through list. Is there (a) a reset method- I assume the operation resulting from power cut wont restore jst be removing power and removing/replacing battery?, or (b) is there a direct replacement without needing rewiring?

Sponsored Links
on my ep 2002 you press the + and- buttons at the same time the display goes off for a few seconds and resets the timer

• Thanks
Reactions: WBo
Not the same - EP2001 doesn't have +/- (equivalent ^/V arrows don't reset it either).

You've done well to make a Potterton EP programmer last 23 years. They don't normally last that long. If it's not goosed now, it soon will be. The EP series has a unique backplate which also doubles as the wiring centre.

Potterton have brought out the new EP2 which will fit straight onto your old backplate and shouldn't require any wiring changes. I believe it also allows more programming possibilities for ch and hw as there are more options for days and times. The old EP2001 was less flexible in this respect.

https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.c...on-potterton-myson-ep2-programmer-p-1206.html

• Thanks
Reactions: WBo
Sponsored Links
Thanks ReganAndCarter. I have seen that link and perhaps others, but other sites selling EP2 don't show as replacement for EP2001. Also the online discussion with Baxi said it is not a direct replacement (though I suspect that person was not that conversant with products as they said replacement is EP2001!). On sites selling EP2, the Potterton documentation again doesn't show EP2001 but mentions EP6002, EP2002, EP3002, EP2000! Example:
http://www.uk-plumbing.com/potterton-electronic-programmer-ep2-p-58559.html
I'm not sure now whether to just try replacing battery or using EP2.

Same has happened to mine on a few occasions try as someone else said replace the battery

Thanks ReganAndCarter. I have seen that link and perhaps others, but other sites selling EP2 don't show as replacement for EP2001. Also the online discussion with Baxi said it is not a direct replacement (though I suspect that person was not that conversant with products as they said replacement is EP2001!). On sites selling EP2, the Potterton documentation again doesn't show EP2001 but mentions EP6002, EP2002, EP3002, EP2000! Example:
http://www.uk-plumbing.com/potterton-electronic-programmer-ep2-p-58559.html
I'm not sure now whether to just try replacing battery or using EP2.

Yes, I'm slightly confused too. The one I recently replaced with an EP2 was an EP2002. There does seem to be uncertainty over whether the EP2 is a direct swap for the EP2001. Some retailers say it is, others don't mention the EP2001. I'm sure the backplates are the same - maybe a small wiring change is required. Perhaps someone else can confirm. or maybe contact Baxi Potterton.

Not sure a battery change will remedy your fault. It's only there to preserve the timings you programmed in if there is a power cut. It shouldn't have any effect on the working of the unit. Also make sure the jumper on the back of the unit is in the correct position for gravity or pumped hw.

There is some information about replacing old Pottertons with the new EP2, and how to set gravity mode if needed. The last 2 I fitted were not supplied with this information sheet.

Thanks Echo the husky. What I am not sure about is that when configuring the programmer (I assume this is at the same time you select pumped/gravity), the table shows which ID to use to select 5+2 day, 7 day, or 24 hr (not clear also difference of 7-day and 24 hour). This table shows old programmer numbers but doesn't include EP2001. Does that mean I can choose 1-4,6, or 10-12 options depending how I want to set programmes?

So can I choose (without changing wiring/backplate) 1 or 4 to have 2 or 3 times per day (again M-F/S-S) to have separate times for CH to HW, or 10 to have 3 times per day but have those control both CH and HW?

My EP2001 was able to set 5+2 day, 2 programme times per day i.e. two on/off times per day, with one set for Mon-Fri, and second set of on/off times for Sat-Sun. Also the override (select) buttons allowed switching on CH or HW separately (timer programmes would control both together - if the select for both was auto or once).

2 programs, one for weekdays, one for weekends.
A separate program for each day of the week.
The same program every day of the week.
So can I choose (without changing wiring/backplate) 1 or 4 to have 2 or 3 times per day (again M-F/S-S) to have separate times for CH to HW, or 10 to have 3 times per day but have those control both CH and HW?
Yes you can.
My EP2001 was able to set 5+2 day, 2 programme times per day i.e. two on/off times per day, with one set for Mon-Fri, and second set of on/off times for Sat-Sun. Also the override (select) buttons allowed switching on CH or HW separately (timer programmes would control both together - if the select for both was auto or once).
Yes it will operate the same.

OK. So I've purchased the EP2 and removed the EP2001 from the backplate. When I fit the EP2 (having removed the battery tab), the unit came on but straight to the first on time. EP2 did not give the option to configure as pumped/gravity (and then go on to select mode - the 12 options for W'day/W'end;7 day;24 hr). I've tried pressing the reset abd YES buttons together for >1 second but to no avail. Any ideas how I get to select gravity/pumped operation and then on to Wday/7day/24hr)??

The answer has been mentioned many times here before

Rtfm and the addendum :idea:

Yes before either of you replied I did realise I'd forgotten the statement at the beginning of every school exam - read all the instructions carefully before you begin! Thanks again.
I am not sure why the 3 timers option doesn't seem to want to set; however I may try again by resetting it at some point. What I found was the 2nd timer was set to factory default of 12:00pm-12:05pm, and would not let me set the start to later than 12:05pm. I wonder if perhaps it restricts it so won't let the start time be set later than the end time. Any sensible software designer nowadays would allow moving the start time beyond the set end time but also move the end time to be either the same as the new start time or say 5 minutes after. This makes more sense to me from the UX (user experience) point of view.

BTW I did also play with the old unit (I was a little nervous of trying to remove it and remove/replace battery without having a new unit available in case the rear panel broke. However I removed the old battery, cleaned the battery holder terminals as the -ve had some corrosion bits on; I also flicked the program swicth on the rear from 16 to 10 then back to 16 programs. When I decided to remove the new EP2 and refit the EP2001 I found it suddenly did work again (CH could be overridden separately to HW).
I am currently using the new EP2 as it is more flexible (2 or 3 time settings per day) and separate timers for HW to CH. I may keep the old EP2001 for a while to make sure EP2 is OK and also as spare should EP2 fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back