Potterton Fireside 51 back boiler....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just received what I thought I was ordering the gas control valve - according to a document I downloaded headed "Potterton Fireside 35/51" quoted the part number as 402906.

So I ordered one off ebay, but even though the part looks the same as the one in the document it looks physically different to the one on the actual boiler itself.

My one has like 2 buttons positioned near the lower middle - on & off - both grey, one with a picture of a red flame and the other white on it. The thermostat knob is on the right.
The part I received doesn't seem to have any and the electric plug is on the opposite side. If you go on ebay and query 402906 - you'll see them listed and they are all the same, but not looking like my one.
My boiler is defintely the Potterton Fireside 51 because that is what the label says on the back of the bottom cover - Circa 1971.
I did later find an original bit of literature for the boiler that says Potterton Fireside 51 Category TN and shows a picture of the gas control valve looking like the one on my boiler and confusingly different to the one in the other internet document.

Confused - Help ?

Sponsored Links
should have got a gas man in from the start, gas valves are not DIY.

I know gas valves are not DIY.- in fact I think it's illegal for me to do it.
I am getting a 'gas safe' man to do the job - anyone else is also illegal.

I am simply just buying the parts, so i am not stitched up on the part prices.

I see no gc part number anywhere on the original document I have found - all it has is a picture of the actual part which looks like the actual part and it's description. the part number I got was from the internet document. Is this GC number visible anywhere without removing it ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I will give no advice on gas parts. you may, or may not be employing a RGI, I have no way of knowing. Also anyone else can read any info given and use said info to buy and fit parts themselves.

true - well not in my case. Your probably right though with most people...this being a DIY site

document headed potterton fireside 35/51....
http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2050/I01-2050/I01-2050.htm on page 13 (fig. 23) shows the gas valve

document headed potterton fireside 51...
http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/user/4054/U02-4054/U02-4054.htm - near the top shows a different gas valve and what mine looks like.

- you see my confusion having now ordered and received the wrong one. I can return it though.

I will probably advertise the job on myhammer web wite and get some quotes - must be gas safe certified. I would not have thought more than a 2 hour (max) job and I will check what the average hourly rate is for gas safe plumbers. There are far too many consumner programs on TV that scare you calliong in the wrong person...

And to respond to bobthebender - after researching more on the internet. I think you are right with the GC number - although not many selling them with the grey buttons.

best bet is to get recommendations from family/friends etc.

you so right..and I have asked.., but no one I know wants to recommend anyone. Most have contracts with brit gas/homeserve or the people they have called have given them a bad service !

And why will you be stictched up on part prices? Any rip-off RGI will screw you on labour charges if they are prepared to stitch you up on part prices. :rolleyes:

Good luck fitting it. ;)

Mr. W.

44.590.03 GGH Fireside 51 Boiler - TOWN GAS Badge located on left hand
44.590.04 GGJ Fireside 51 Boiler - NATURAL GAS Gas Fire Mounting Bracket
32.590.02 + Fireside 51 Gas Fire - TOWN GAS Badge located on left of heat
32.590.03 + Fireside 51 Gas Fire - NATURAL GAS exchanger.

Oh, I think you may be right...apparently mine has a pilot governor and it states this is ONLY found on the town gas boilers - which would make it a 44.590.03. I thought it was the 04 because I saw the badge on the lower panel...but that's not the mounting bracket...for some strange reason I thought it was.

Maybe stitched up on prices is steep, I fear the reposne is that the part is obsolete and I will be told I need a new boiler- so I'm doing the legwork trying to locate the part....If I can

I know gas valves are not DIY.- in fact I think it's illegal for me to do it.
I am getting a 'gas safe' man to do the job - anyone else is also illegal.

I see no gc part number anywhere on the original document I have found - all it has is a picture of the actual part which looks like the actual part and it's description. the part number I got was from the internet document. Is this GC number visible anywhere without removing it ?

Love it. Scared of being ripped of by a face to face trader so prefer to pay £s to an internet site, for a useless part!! Frankly, it serves you right.

http://www.abcotuk.co.uk/subcategory.aspx?catid=C2-25

v4400c 1337 is what was fitted on old firesides

Yep thanks, I've seen a few of these for sale now - but sadly none in stock anywhere. I presume these would still fit ? I will check with that web site if they have some on Monday.

Expertgasman, Anyway no harm done I can still return the parts incorrectly ordered - well they were not incorrectly ordered. They stated they were for use on a Fireside 35/51 and they simply are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back