Potterton Lynx Electronic - Engineer says may need replacing

I see Worcester brand gets a lot of vote in the trade. Could anyone advise on what model would be suitable to replace the Lynx?

Where do you think you see that?

Few RGIs here think that much of them.

After spending over two hours to replace a simple part ( PRV ) on a 25si then I dont think I would be recommending them!

Any 24 kW combi would suit.

I can usually get old Lynxs to work! But that requires an understanding on how the air flow sensor works!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Apologies, I must of been mistaken then.

Saw the Worcester name mentioned a lot when looking for new boilers, and presumed they were popular for a reason.

Just had a quick look at the Intergas combi's... i like the idea of it having fewer parts = fewer things to breakdown.

Be interested to hear others think on possible replacement boilers/brands

Most of us here like the intergas but thats not so much because of moving parts but the general design which has some interesting new aspects.

But any 24 kW boiler will do th ejob!

Tony

Most of us here like the intergas

Funny how when its a repair your the only one who can do it, and now its a recommendation everyone agrees with you. must be amazing to be you Tony!

Sponsored Links
However It may be best to go with option 2 to be safe going forward (we have a 3yr old and another on the way soon).

I love the way that it is only ever worth being safe when there are kid's involved. :eek:

i wouldn't fit a 24kw anywhere the flow rates are ****e, min of 28kw

i wouldn't fit a 24kw anywhere the flow rates are s***te, min of 28kw
I thought you sized the boiler depending on the existing flow rate.

no i perfer to give my customers the best flow rate availible within their budget, most people are alot more demaining these days when it comes to hot water performance, if everyone went by your anthogy above no one would upgrade to an unvented cylinder

no i prefer to give my customers the best flow rate available within their budget, most people are a lot more demanding these days when it comes to hot water performance, if everyone went by your anthology (???) above no one would upgrade to an unvented cylinder
You are completely missing the point. :(

The incoming flow rate is fixed (unless you install a larger supply pipe from the meter/mains). Installing a larger boiler can never give you a faster flow rate than that provided by the mains. All it can do is give you hotter water.

An unvented cylinder is a completely different matter. It has more in common with a vented cylinder and cold water storage tank than with a combi boiler.

A Worcester-Bosch is a safe option.

There are a few regulars here with their particular favourites but Worcester isn't the domestic market leader for nothing. They certainly aren't competing on price.

Reading internet forums where there are a hard core of around 10 opinionated regular posters can give a different perspective. I'm trying to give a balance, I'll might use Intergas with my customers after another 3 yrs when they've earnt their spurs in the UK, if the importer is still in business and if they have an employed, not subcontracted, nationwide warranty team.

Try ringing Intergas today, and Worcester Bosch. See who's paid people to be there to answer your query.

Reading internet forums where there are a hard core of around 10 opinionated regular posters can give a different perspective. I'm trying to give a balance,

How can you be balanced when you are an accredited Worcester installer and have to fit at least 50 each year to maintain your status with them?

At least with Intergas you can fit one or a hunderd and you still have the same status with them ( rather ignored in both cases! ).

Tony

if you get the right person then you can get a glowworm flexicom or ultracom2 or ultimate, with up to 15 years warranty. i fit quite a few as i find there installers club very good.and non of this worcester fit x amount just to reward you. also an agent for intergas. and find them a very good boiler. worcester would be 5th on my list. as i hate working on the juniors or si models. there a pita. and overpriced.

I hate working on them too, everything is in front of everything else, but the overall package to the customer is good.

Agile, the 50 a year isn't a problem for me, I have space to fit plenty of other manufacturers' gear in the year. I don't just recommend Worcester Bosch, but I think they are a good solid option to offer.

The market is simply full of reasonable boilers at the moment, the Intergas is one of many. But the 'Intergas package' is weaker than most because they have no critical mass of installs over here.

And, on a personal note, I'm ashamed to say I fitted a number of Remeha Avantas around 5 yrs ago after the pundits on here were constantly praising their virtues. Never again.

I've been fitting intergas fit 8 years. How much of a foot hold do you need?

Year warranty. .. so comparable to most others. ;) in house engineers.

Oh, I'm Worcester accredited too. And Vaillant, and Veissmann, and Atag.

Worcester boilers are average - no more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back