Potterton Nettaheat Electronic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently tried to get the above boiler serviced but when the engineer arrived he informed me that he couldn't get the front cover off as a previous resident has installed a low celing directly over the boiler.

The ceiling slopes giving a clearence ranging from a couple of inches one end to a few mm's the other.

My question is could the cover be removed with the above restrictions as I would really like this boiler serviced?

Sponsored Links
This is a boiler with some problems and its essential that there is adequate clearance to enable the case seals to be checked.

Surely the ceiling can be partially removed as it was obviously added after the boiler?

Your boiler is on the list of those to be treated even more carefully than most as it has design flaws, and unrestricted access for inspection is essential.
Though they are quite long lasting and reliable, one of the downsides is that could seem to operate fine, whilst spilling lethal quantities of toxic fumes into the property.
It is essential that the boiler is checked by a RGI who knows the boiler and what to look out for.
His advice, no matter how inconvenient, should not be ignored.

As the lads have said, this boiler needs to be checked correctly, especially the case seals.
Although a very reliable boiler, specific checks need to be undertaken.
Listen to the RGI's advice, no matter how 'nasty' you may feel it to be.... if he says its goosed, leaking...... take his word.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your advice.

I will get it looked at promptly.

Due you think it is possible the engineer will be able to get the cover off & on with so little clearence above it? So I dont have to cut into the ceiling?

its a while since I looked at one of these but I thought there were 2 screws at the top ,cant remember whats at the bottom and the front case pulls forward, so as long as he can get to the screws at the top there shouldent be a problem.

I would expect it needs at least 50 mm above to access the top screws.

This boiler may be in a very poor condition as its not been serviced since the ceiling was put in place.

The priority is to access the boiler.

An access panel should be placed in the ceiling so it can be opened ant time.

This is a very old boiler well overdue for replacement with a modern efficient boiler saving 30-40% of the gas.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back