Access requirements for Servicing

The boiler was installed after the cabinets. They might be removable but it doesn't look easy to me.

The boiler was supplied and installed and the first two services carried out by a company called "Flameout".

What no-one has yet explained is how Flameout fitted the cover after installing the boiler (which I imagine has to be done with the cover off). If they could fit it then someone else should be able to remove it again.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, they have now piped up (excuse the pun), saying they do want payment. I originally called them in because the overflow pipe was dripping. Someone else had advised me that this was probably because a washer had failed. The boiler hasn't been serviced for four years. So I asked the engineers for a service and they agreed that they could fix the dripping as part of that at no extra cost. The servicing didn't get done, as you know, and I should probably get one of the previous engineers in to do it. The engineer who came said that the dripping was because the pressure in the boiler was too high (it was about 3 bar) and he duly reduced that, which seemed to have some effect.

Two weeks later the pipe is still dripping, but substantially less than before.

Do you still think I should pay the engineer?

The engineer came to work on your boiler as requested.

Why on earth should you not pay him?

I cannot thing of a single reason not to pay him.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You take a bus to go to buy something at a shop.

The shop is shut !

So you think that you should not need to pay the bus fare???

YES!!! Of course you should. It is not his problem that you failed to provide adequate clearances for service or repair. He wasted his time coming out to do something that wasn't possible due to your or a previous installers negligence. Why do you think that company or engineer should suffer?

Pay the bill and consider it a cheap lesson.

Jon

Surely you'd only have to pay for his time he was there, not the full amount ie for the service which wasn't carried out!

That would be like going to the aforementioned shop and having your card billed for the item you didn't buy due to it being shut.

He would have allowed @30-60 mins in his diary. Why should he loose an hours wage (possibly more with travel)

I'm interested to know why you have used the same person twice.............

Surely you'd only have to pay for his time he was there, not the full amount ie for the service which wasn't carried out!

That seems the most incredibly silly suggestion.

The engineer quoted a price to cover his time servicing, say 35 min PLUS his time to travel there and park his vehicle and return.

In congested areas like London, travelling and parking can often take much longer than a short job like a service.

So you are suggesting that because he fixed the pressure in say 10 minutes, he should only have charged say £10 ? And that has to cover perhaps an hour of his time and travel costs?

Tony

The engineer came to work on your boiler as requested.

Why on earth should you not pay him?

I cannot thing of a single reason not to pay him.

Tony

Because the deal was that he would come and service the boiler and, included in that, would fix the leaking pipe. The opinion here seems to be that he could have serviced the boiler and that he wasn't entirely justified in not doing so, he was being a bit of a primadonna. Also the pipe is still dripping so it doesn't seem he even did that part of the job very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back