Access requirements for Servicing

Ok well I hadn't considered that the actual service of the boiler was a small part of the job and whether it was carried out or not is a minor complication.

Still as a customer I'd expect the guy to offer a reduced price or something maybe as a good will gesture, especially as he chose to not carry out the work on a technicality, not because it was impossible as some have mentioned.

An alternative might have been to say its going to take extra time due to the bad mounting and offer the chance to cover the additional cost.

Surely you'd only have to pay for his time he was there, not the full amount ie for the service which wasn't carried out!

That seems the most incredibly silly suggestion.

The engineer quoted a price to cover his time servicing, say 35 min PLUS his time to travel there and park his vehicle and return.

In congested areas like London, travelling and parking can often take much longer than a short job like a service.

So you are suggesting that because he fixed the pressure in say 10 minutes, he should only have charged say £10 ? And that has to cover perhaps an hour of his time and travel costs?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well everything can't be expected to go his way on every job? In any business there are good times and bad times, and often company image and customer satisfaction is more important than making a profit on every single job.

In this case I guess its down to bad luck and quoting over the phone without seeing the job. I wouldn't say its the owners fault as the boiler was previously serviced and installed without any major issue and not the new engineers fault for finding things not installed correctly.

I dont think that means the owner has to take 100% of the blame and cost in this instance.

Agree to disagree?

Sponsored Links
I'm not commenting on the level of customer service. That is a matter opinion.

We wouldn't have done what this engineer did, but that is not to say that he isn't entitled to charge in line with his terms and conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back