Access requirements for Servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Vaillant boiler which was installed 13 years ago. The installation instructions state that there should be a 50cm clearance in front of it. However it has been installed facing a cupboard only 10cm away. This faces the right hand half of the boiler - the left hand side is clear. There is a wall to the right. Because of this limited clearance it is impossible to remove the cover, although it can be lifted up to the ceiling so that most of the front of the boiler is exposed.

I've had the boiler serviced four times since it was installed, by three different plumbers. But yesterday I had a new plumber in to service it and he insisted that because he couldn't remove the cover he couldn't service it. I tried to come up with a lot of suggestions but he was adamant. He did some work to reduce the pressure in the boiler then walked off without saying goodbye or discussing payment - I think he's going to charge my card which I was obliged to give details of when I booked him of his own accord, which is really rude.

Anyway, is he in the right about the boiler not being serviceable?

Sponsored Links
I gather there was a fault as you mention reduce the pressure?

Manf inst are to be followed for a reason.

Why couldn't you get the previous engs who worked on your appliance that didn't highlight the installation error?

You seem to be blaming the engineer for what is YOUR kitchen problem!

It is your boiler and you should want it to be serviced and when necessary to be repaired.

Most kitchen cabinets can be removed by undoing just two or four screws.

If you really cannot do that yourself then a carpenter or handyman will.

The engineer was totally correct in expecting total access for servicing. He wants to do a good job! You don't seem to want him to !

As the Owner it is your responsibility to ensure that the required access is available. You know what it is but don't seem to want to provide it.

The engineer should be paid for his visit. Its not his fault that you have not provided the required clearance.

Tony

Sponsored Links
OP, often boilers are 'serviced' without taking cover off the boiler:p
This guy possibly following the installation instructions so cover needs to come off to carry out all designated tasks

What has rudeness got to do with it. He is there to carry out a task you asked him to do. If end user started telling me three previous guys/ galls had serviced boiler before me, I would see that as a slight on my ability to do what is required. If manufacturer's required clearances are not in place then it is your responsibility to ensure these are in place and I would be asking my self how three previous muppets serviced the boiler :cautious:. I have walked off site for less

I've got a Vaillant boiler which was installed 13 years ago. The installation instructions state that there should be a 50cm clearance in front of it. However it has been installed facing a cupboard only 10cm away. This faces the right hand half of the boiler - the left hand side is clear. There is a wall to the right. Because of this limited clearance it is impossible to remove the cover, although it can be lifted up to the ceiling so that most of the front of the boiler is exposed.

You say the boiler was installed in this position. Is it not the case that the cabinets were installed AFTER the boiler?
Were the 3 previous giys from the "big" companies?

the last 3 guys who serviced my car done a real good job, they didn't even lift the bonnet up....took it to a garage yesterday and the guy said he can't service it properly until the latch to release the bonnet is repaired, he said it looks like it's been faulty since it was manufactured, cowboy, the last 3 managed to service it with out lifting the bonnet!

You say the boiler was installed in this position. Is it not the case that the cabinets were installed AFTER the boiler?
Were the 3 previous giys from the "big" companies?

No, this is not the case. The boiler was installed after the cabinets. They might be removable but it doesn't look easy to me.

The boiler was supplied and installed and the first two services carried out by a company called "Flameout". The subsequent services were carried out by a company called PolBuild UK Ltd., and another called PGS. All have Corgi ID serial numbers.

I didn't mean to suggest that the plumber who came shouldn't be paid. But I think it was rude of him to walk off without saying anything about payment or even saying goodbye. I had agreed when I phoned that I would pay him in cash, and had this ready. I thought he was putting his tools in his van, but then he was gone.

I think he's referring to the fact that CORGI doesn't exist any more; it was replaced by "Gas Safe" a few years ago.

All have Corgi ID serial numbers.
That is the problem.:rolleyes:
They are Corgi registered. They should have touched your boiler
Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean they shouldn't have touched my boiler? Maybe some complaints to Corgi are in order.
Complain to CORGI all you like, they aren't relevant any more. Gas Safe took over the registration and regulation of gas engineers in April 2009

A photo of your installation would no doubt help to clarify things, but ultimately if the case can't be removed the boiler can't be properly serviced. Dean's analogy is a good one - you wouldn't expect a garage to do a proper service on your car if they couldn't open the bonnet properly. This is exactly the same situation

Here you go. PGS are registered with Gas Safe so they must have found a way to get satisfied about the access. Perhaps I'd better call them in again.

That's better.

Technically the last chap was correct, but he must have been having a bad day. I think most of us could service that easily enough.

We don't know what model it is but at that age probably a Turbomax.

It would probably be possible to do some service tasks but replacing the fan might be hard.

The simple fact is that the makers specify certain clearances and engineers expect them to be maintained.

Some individuals are more helpful than others. Some would attempt what they can and others will just walk away!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back