Access requirements for Servicing

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Arbu, 8 Mar 2016.

1. Arbu

Arbu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've got a Vaillant boiler which was installed 13 years ago. The installation instructions state that there should be a 50cm clearance in front of it. However it has been installed facing a cupboard only 10cm away. This faces the right hand half of the boiler - the left hand side is clear. There is a wall to the right. Because of this limited clearance it is impossible to remove the cover, although it can be lifted up to the ceiling so that most of the front of the boiler is exposed.

I've had the boiler serviced four times since it was installed, by three different plumbers. But yesterday I had a new plumber in to service it and he insisted that because he couldn't remove the cover he couldn't service it. I tried to come up with a lot of suggestions but he was adamant. He did some work to reduce the pressure in the boiler then walked off without saying goodbye or discussing payment - I think he's going to charge my card which I was obliged to give details of when I booked him of his own accord, which is really rude.

Anyway, is he in the right about the boiler not being serviceable?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. dpgas

dpgas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I gather there was a fault as you mention reduce the pressure?

Manf inst are to be followed for a reason.

Why couldn't you get the previous engs who worked on your appliance that didn't highlight the installation error?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You seem to be blaming the engineer for what is YOUR kitchen problem!

It is your boiler and you should want it to be serviced and when necessary to be repaired.

Most kitchen cabinets can be removed by undoing just two or four screws.

If you really cannot do that yourself then a carpenter or handyman will.

The engineer was totally correct in expecting total access for servicing. He wants to do a good job! You don't seem to want him to !

As the Owner it is your responsibility to ensure that the required access is available. You know what it is but don't seem to want to provide it.

The engineer should be paid for his visit. Its not his fault that you have not provided the required clearance.

Tony

• Like Like x 2
  6. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OP, often boilers are 'serviced' without taking cover off the boiler:p
    This guy possibly following the installation instructions so cover needs to come off to carry out all designated tasks

What has rudeness got to do with it. He is there to carry out a task you asked him to do. If end user started telling me three previous guys/ galls had serviced boiler before me, I would see that as a slight on my ability to do what is required. If manufacturer's required clearances are not in place then it is your responsibility to ensure these are in place and I would be asking my self how three previous muppets serviced the boiler :cautious:. I have walked off site for less

• Like Like x 2
  7. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You say the boiler was installed in this position. Is it not the case that the cabinets were installed AFTER the boiler?
    Were the 3 previous giys from the "big" companies?

8. the last 3 guys who serviced my car done a real good job, they didn't even lift the bonnet up....took it to a garage yesterday and the guy said he can't service it properly until the latch to release the bonnet is repaired, he said it looks like it's been faulty since it was manufactured, cowboy, the last 3 managed to service it with out lifting the bonnet!

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Arbu

Arbu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, this is not the case. The boiler was installed after the cabinets. They might be removable but it doesn't look easy to me.

The boiler was supplied and installed and the first two services carried out by a company called "Flameout". The subsequent services were carried out by a company called PolBuild UK Ltd., and another called PGS. All have Corgi ID serial numbers.

I didn't mean to suggest that the plumber who came shouldn't be paid. But I think it was rude of him to walk off without saying anything about payment or even saying goodbye. I had agreed when I phoned that I would pay him in cash, and had this ready. I thought he was putting his tools in his van, but then he was gone.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is the problem.:rolleyes:
    They are Corgi registered. They should have touched your boiler

12. Arbu

Arbu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean they shouldn't have touched my boiler? Maybe some complaints to Corgi are in order.

13. endecotp

endecotp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think he's referring to the fact that CORGI doesn't exist any more; it was replaced by "Gas Safe" a few years ago.

14. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Complain to CORGI all you like, they aren't relevant any more. Gas Safe took over the registration and regulation of gas engineers in April 2009

A photo of your installation would no doubt help to clarify things, but ultimately if the case can't be removed the boiler can't be properly serviced. Dean's analogy is a good one - you wouldn't expect a garage to do a proper service on your car if they couldn't open the bonnet properly. This is exactly the same situation

15. Arbu

Arbu

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Here you go. PGS are registered with Gas Safe so they must have found a way to get satisfied about the access. Perhaps I'd better call them in again.

16. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's better.

Technically the last chap was correct, but he must have been having a bad day. I think most of us could service that easily enough.

17. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We don't know what model it is but at that age probably a Turbomax.

It would probably be possible to do some service tasks but replacing the fan might be hard.

The simple fact is that the makers specify certain clearances and engineers expect them to be maintained.

Some individuals are more helpful than others. Some would attempt what they can and others will just walk away!

Tony