Potterton Performa 28 Fault Please help

I used the words THIS BOILER so no point mentioning other boilers

Sponsored Links
Dont really want a guy coming out and second guessing.

Well , you had the first guess, so obviously the next 'person' will get the second guess.
In the 'logical' sequence of events you would employ an RGI with relevant boiler experience, who should be able to fix the problem first 'guess'

With it obviously not being a PCB fault I was merely suggesting a professional fixes the problem as the op doesn't know how to fix boiler. He doesn't know what may or may not be involved.

oh ok then ;) ,but why would i offer a powerflush for a 15 quid switch i`m not Bg

Sponsored Links
Had exactly the same problem on Friday. Checked all the parameters, followed the fault diagnosis, confirmed with Potterton. PCB was dead on A2 terminals 5 and 7. Got a surge upto 50v then died. Installed new pcb following correct procedure (some new wiring for earths and pcb layout changed, new part no. for pcb 5112380), immediately indicated another fault - 30 and 40 deg C signs for flame and safety stat showing at same time. Checked stat, then checked for 230v across A1 3 and 5, continuity and resistance check on overheat stat, good. Spoke to Potterton, they asked me to recheck all over the phone, conclusion faulty pcb. So having experienced this a few times before, and not just on Potterton's, I can confirm that it is possible that a new pcb can be faulty.

It is unlikely the burner pressure, combustion, and FSD change when putting in a new pcb but I agree that if the boiler works after installing the pcb these parameters should be checked as a standard to ensure correct performance. That is what are trained to do as a routine.

Many thanks for all your replies so far, I have noticed on the rear microswtich a slight corroding I believe, I have uploaded two pictures to my album. could this be the issue or just another friggin fault?

Ops just noticed in background of my pics the dodgy wallpaper lol, just to make it clear this is not how my kitchen is decorated! thats just how it was when I first moved in, and had boiler fitted straight away ;)

That is just the gland leaking. If the leak got onto the microswitch itself then it could cause electrical things to pop.

It is an easy repair though and something you can do yourself quite easily.

Would my problem be a microswitch by any chance? is there anyway i can bypass the to check? I have tried 2 different PCB's now, the first had same issue as the original and the second is exactly the same symtoms tris1331 explained, I have a Boiler guy coming out tomorrow but want to give him a head start with details if at all possible.

once again, thank you so much for your comments, you guys truely make this one of the best and information forums I have ever been on!

no disrepect, but despite what a customer told me, i would start at the beginning of the fault finding process, and worh thru it.

lol no disrespect taken mate, actually from a IT background myself I'd do the samething if a client asked me about a problem, didn't enter my head to put myself in his shoes.

well, lets just say i learned a lesson a while ago by not doing what i was taught . lluckily it just cost me time.

OK, I have replaced the Fan now and also 2 microswitches an also PCB, checked all connections and blown down preasure switch.

SUCCESS !!! well partially,

all is working ok although the preasure Bar is dropping from 1.5bar to .5 bar in about 15-20mins of use and also water coming out of the pip on outside wall - what could this issue be???

cheers folk! its much warmer now and got hot water too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back