Potterton Prima f Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone help with a little advice? Just moved to a new house and I'm not very good with any of this stuff so here goes:

I have a Potterton Prima F boiler in my kitchen, at the moment my gas central heating nor my hot water is coming on. I have a hot water tank upstairs in a cupboard which seems to working when the heating is switched on.

I have a hercal coil indirect cylinder double feed hot water tank.

Can anyone give advice why:
-I don't have any heating or hot water?
-Which valves on my hot water tank should be open/closed?

any help would be much appreciated,

bjmurp
DSC_0566.JPG

Sponsored Links
Lets see, run off some hot water, does the boiler then fire up? Or does the boiler fire up if you increase the hot water tank thermostat ?

Ok, have you tried to turn up the stat, and how much water did you run off, will need a bit for the tank stat to see it needs the boiler to fire

Sponsored Links
ok i've turned the stat on the boiler up to max and i've got the tap running.....I'm assuming your looking to see if the pilot light come on on the boiler?

Ok. Well with your tank stat at max and cold water running into the hot tank, first idea was the mid position valve might have been your problem. So stop running the hot tap and move the stat back to 60

You need to prove the electrical supply to the boiler. Please don't mess unless you know how.

there is no temp guage on the stat. It's simply 1-6 then max
DSC_0568.JPG

the pilot was switching on and off earlier....now its not coming on at all.

I stupidly messed about with the valves from the hot water tank.

Got the feeling i may have closed something off or opened something that shouldn't be.

You could check that the pump is free to turn as you are new to this house and it may have been sitting off for some time. So, is that your pump at the top of your pic? Can you remove the big silver screw that's in the centure of the pump? If so, you will get a dribble of water but that's ok, you will need to get an Alan key that fits or try a screw driver to move the impeller to test its free. NB would be best if the power to the boiler is off during this test as it could spring to life if it was stuck.

Last edited:
As for the valves, check for open, the ones you think you played with. Ensure all open.

Did you move the TANK stat to max?
The boiler can also be set to max for now but I was talking about the tank one and not the boiler one

Don't think that it is it, removed the screw as shown in the pic (box on the right).

Is the pump on the top of the cylinder??
DSC_0570.JPG

Replace that bit of the pump. That's not the BIG Silver centure screw I said. Look on the side of the pump!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back