Potterton Profile 50e stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Am I glad I found you guys! :)

My boiler stopped working a few weeks ago, the first we realised was when we turned on the hot tap and no hot water. I usually have the thermostat knob at 1, that's been quite sufficient ever since we moved into the house 5 years ago. I had to turn the knob up to about 4 before it kicked into life (I had the hot water tap running all the time while slowly turning it up in small increments). So that worked for a day or two then it stopped working again. I had to turn it up to MAX to get it working again. After a few days, I started to turn it back down a number per day, the water was far too hot, not to mention the expense hehe. So it seemed ok for a few days, temperature was coming down and we were back at 4 on the knob, then this morning again...no hot water!

After reading a few threads here, I've deduced that it could be the thermostat or a pcb board. I am covered by British Gas Homecare so do you think they would replace this part ok? Or will I need to purchase separately and fit it myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks! :)
Glen

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Your Profile is a heat only boiler.

Depending on how your system is configured, your boiler is brought on by a thermostat on the hot water cylinder. You have to draw off perhaps 40-50 litres before the stst turns on the boiler.

Its not obvious to me what your fault ( if any ) actually is. It may be the cylinder stat needs adjusting or replacing.

With BG cover the obvious answer is to call them!

Tony

Your Profile is a heat only boiler.

Depending on how your system is configured, your boiler is brought on by a thermostat on the hot water cylinder. You have to draw off perhaps 40-50 litres before the stst turns on the boiler.

Its not obvious to me what your fault ( if any ) actually is. It may be the cylinder stat needs adjusting or replacing.

With BG cover the obvious answer is to call them!

Tony

Thank you for the information. I just feel that with having the knob at 4 the water is too hot, I can't touch it, so I'm using too much energy heating it to this temperature.

I'll get on to BG but I just wanted to understand more myself first.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back