Potterton Profile 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ok first post, so be gentle. I've had a good look through previous posts but not seen anything that helps my uneducated eye...

I have the above boiler situated in the garage. It supplies 13 rads, normal domestic use. Bit of background first:

I used to have an issue that it started 'ketterling' and overheating therefore tripping and requiring a reset. This happened everytime the boiler started, after 10 mins or so. Let it cool, same thing happened.

On advice, I've had a power flush done. We live in a very hard water area and I don't believe its ever been done. However, even though the house is 1950's, the boiler is of course newer (though how old not sure?) So it may have been done pre-install - unlikely though. Anyway, the situation is much improved. Less banging from the boiler, radiators/pipes all good and a lot less noise too. I pushed the boat out and had a magnaclean installed for good measure.

The power flush seems to help the reset issue and the boiler stat can be set just under 4 (assuming you want it that high!) with no overheating. Still a small amount of ketterling, but doesn't now overheat.

Now the main issue I have now. This is an intermittent and doesn't happen all the time, but certainly most of:

The boiler starts up, fan starts, clicks etc and pilot light ignites. However, the 'main burn' sometimes doesn't and the pilot light remains lit until the timer switchs the boiler off. I lost the plot a bit this morning and gave the boiler a tap (no more) on the right side at the bottom. It then fired the main burner! But it switched it self off shortly afterwards.

I'd got as far as a faulty air pressure switch looking at other posts but given the 'tap' I took the bottom cover off (I know...) and just checked for a loose connection, which given the intermitted nature might be the issue??

I Very very carefully, without sticking anything in there, checked the connectors where in place. When doing this, I knocked a wire, (which is actually has cloth woven appearance), and boiler kicked in! I moved it again and it switched off. I moved it again and the main burner kicked on and stayed on!

The lead in question is on the lower right has side as you look at the boiler face on. It rises from the PCB and up into the right hand side of the boiler. Its a red lead and seems to go into a block of connectors towards the front on the PCB area, but thats only visually. I've checked the circuit diagram but can't figure it out.

This looks like the issue then, but can you confirm what it does and whether it would explain the symptons? some advice as to what it is and want needs fixing would be much appreicated!

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Work on quite a few of these but without boiler in front of me ahrd to find out what the wire is-if fan is running id rule out it being a fan connector,maybe wire to solenoid on gas valve??

Start with cleaning/replacing the injector

The red wires are for the fan, they do work loose on the pcb as the leads are too short, when the panel hinges down, if you follow!

A small wager would say that there are two of three dry joints on the circuit board.

Sponsored Links
giblets said:
A small wager would say that there are two of three dry joints on the circuit board.

ten will get you five mate

;)

(does tic tac madly john mckririck stylee))

;)

There will be a dry joint on the 2nd to last or last pin on the strip connector which has 5 wires coming from it. The red wires you refer to are for the fan and its not those you want to be looking at.

I have had to many to mention in my time and its always the same joint that goes on the pin.
Resoldering sorts it evertime. By the way the over heating is because the pump overrun stat is either not wired in correctly to control the pump or its knackered. Again another classic fault. Or it could be the overheat stat thats on its way.

Stan

P.S keep the boiler until it dies! It wil be the best one you ever have :)

Many thanks all. Its great to have your input. I'll come at this issue with some knowledge now when I find somebody to look at it for me (hopefully un-prompted so will they of course!).

Cheers

Bleed the radiators for good measure and pushed down the red lead fan connectors and unbelievably its worked fine over the weekend. Very quiet now (at least compared to what it was) and all is well. Can it be that easy - just the red wires were loose!

Lets hope it stays that way - thanks again!

P.S cleaned the maganclean out Sunday - what a mess!

OOI (doing this soon) you have chemical inhibitor as well as the Magnacean?

How long has it been collecting black sludge?

How much did you get out?

Had the system power flushed with an inhibitor added.

The magnaclean went in the same time and its been cleaned twice now and both times was caked in sludge, (a black watery silt). Easy to clean, just make sure you get all the spanners.

Depending on the state of your system of course, but mines getting on a bit so it's collecting a pretty impressive amount, (i'll do mine once a week until it reduces).

If you assume that removing the sludge makes a system more efficient/quieter/increases longevity, then its a no brainer.

The power flush and the magnaclean have made a big difference to what was an loud bubbling overheating system.

Your giving plumbers a bad name, (if they needed any help in the first place!)

Be happy that i'm impressed with the results and the people who did it. For all the horror stories, your profession did a good job for once. Promote it as I have tried to do.

The only issue with this forum is the negitivity displayed sometimes by the pro's post a job. This puts doubts in peoples minds that they may have been ripped off. Let me assure you - I wasn't.

cheers

Thats as maybe

but you should not be getting so much muck in your magneflow thingy

Toaster999 said:
Your giving plumbers a bad name, (if they needed any help in the first place!)

Be happy that i'm impressed with the results and the people who did it. For all the horror stories, your profession did a good job for once. Promote it as I have tried to do.

The only issue with this forum is the negitivity displayed sometimes by the pro's post a job. This puts doubts in peoples minds that they may have been ripped off. Let me assure you - I wasn't.

cheers
Well said

We should suggest to the magnaclean manufactures that they make the cylinder see through, then the punters could tell the state of the system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back