Potterton Puma 80: CH ok but hot water only works when CH on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a Potterton Puma 80 boiler, several years old. When we first moved in in November, the hot water was very temperamental - it ran hot for a bit, then cold, then hot again. We had it adjusted and all was fine for a while.

Now, only 3 months later, the problem is back again. The hot water is fine when the CH is on, but if it's not on it runs alternately hot and cold. Also, the boiler fires when turning the cold tap off. Weird.

Can anyone suggest what we can do to fix this? We want to try and do it ourselves cos plumbers are expensive!

Thanks,
Mary

Sponsored Links
"""We want to try and do it ourselves cos plumbers are expensive"""

Well thats fine if you can do it.

The advantage of paying someone is that they are expected to do the job properly and quickly.

As I dont know exactly what is causing your problem, I cannot be sure what parts are needed ( if any ). However, we would charge £84 plus parts. Is that really so expensive?

Tony

Thank you for your replies, Corgiman and Agile.

As for 'plumbers are expensive' - sorry if I've offended you. We seem to have bought a house with lots of things in it that don't work, and are trying to work out what we can do ourselves and what is best left to the experts.

Would you say that unsticking the DHW flow stich is a DIY-able job?

Sponsored Links
I cannot answer that because I dont know your capabilities.

Its easy for me but then I do it every day. But then brain surgery is easy for a brain surgeon but difficult for me.

There is mains voltage and water mains pressure involved so there are some safety issues to consider.

Tony

Agile said:
I cannot answer that because I dont know your capabilities.

Its easy for me but then I do it every day. But then brain surgery is easy for a brain surgeon but difficult for me.

There is mains voltage and water mains pressure involved so there are some safety issues to consider.

Tony

I'll answer it NO NO NO !!

Regardless of it only being the water section you are still inside the boiler.
rule 26/9 should be carried out after any repair and as you are not CORGI then NO !!

Pay the money and get it done right !!

mazzapoid said:
Hi,
We have a Potterton Puma 80 boiler, several years old. When we first moved in in November, the hot water was very temperamental - it ran hot for a bit, then cold, then hot again. We had it adjusted and all was fine for a while.

Now, only 3 months later, the problem is back again. The hot water is fine when the CH is on, but if it's not on it runs alternately hot and cold. Also, the boiler fires when turning the cold tap off. Weird.

Can anyone suggest what we can do to fix this? We want to try and do it ourselves cos plumbers are expensive!

Thanks,
Mary

If the boiler lights when no demand for c/h or h/w then you may find the DHW flow switch is staying on ... seen this on loads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back